Why Do I Still Blog?

Why do i still blog? Or more accurately, why do i still spend time on my blog? If time has currency, i'd be impecunious. Although there are ways to monetize the blog or generate income, i'm not in it solely for the money- at least not now. The hours typing, arranging photographs and customizing the blog in front of the screen just so it is always updated and refreshing, could have been spent on doing something better, something more rewarding. If i want to share, why not just upload them onto Facebook or Instagram? Wouldn't that be more time efficient? And with the 'work' ball rolling into my life, it has been more challenging than ever to squeeze a post or two in between. Owning and maintaining a blog is no easy feat, and definitely not for the undetermined.

Then, why?

Because I like blogging. Because I like writing. Because I like sharing what i know and learn what i don't. I learn by writing because i don't write blindly. I see the monetary reward only as a bonus; your reading here is what pays me and i take every comment to heart, whether it is in agreement or disagreement to my post. I do upload photographs on my Facebook and Instagram but i still find my way into here- and the fingers quickly take over. That's how much i like writing. Over the life of this blog, i received emails regarding my trips from readers seeking further information or tips; i've attended events and featured in various sites. These little things were, and will continue to be, my delight, the fuel to keep me writing, and what i found to be just as rewarding as money itself.

I started blogging on my life experience; then changed my focus on food and travel as i noticed the trend and tendency of those topics surfacing on my old blog. As much as i enjoyed free writing on various topics, i never looked back to why i began on this quest, and the reason was simple: food and travel have been in my life since young, and life made with food and travel makes life itself exciting. With this blog, i found freedom in another way. The same thrill you feel when you run.

This blog is more than just a food and travel review site; and certainly not me bragging of my experiences. It is my journal, my recollections and my reflections of the places i've been, the food i'd tasted, and the people i've met. They are stories- one that you'll listen to me speak of in person, as you would read them here. I do read my old posts, especially the Journeys, and am glad to have written them because while memory fades, memory does not disappear. Going through those posts relives the moment and teleports me back in time- one of the things science has yet to fully succeed.

There is something that this blog does to me- and i realized it only recently. It talks. It tells me to take action when sometimes i am bounded by my own consciousness. I admit, sometimes when i feel tired and uninterested but i know it is a good piece of material for the blog (which usually transcends as a life experience), i will remember it talking, and then wash my face, wear my shoes and go. If we don't open the door, we will not know what's awaiting outside. Yes, we can peek through the peephole but why settle to see when we can experience it. Yes, it's a risk, but it's a risk we should be willing to take. And yes, sometimes it's bad, but it's not just a bad experience- it's a lesson to learn from. It taught me courage and it taught me discipline. I made this blog, and the blog also made me.

While i'm still capable, i see no stopping in the foreseeable future. I may not post as frequent as i used to but i'm here to stay. To my readers, thank you. To bloggers, keep blogging- because someone will be reading and someone will be responding.

And here's to wishing you Happy Chinese New Year 2015!

I will continue blogging, and i will not stop writing. I will keep sharing, and i will always be learning.

Comments