My Abu Dhabi Journey: The Dubai Escape

On one of the weekends, we got on the shuttle and went to Dubai. It took us about an hour and a half; excitement grew throughout the journey. Sometimes, i cannot believe that i was in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, both incredibly modern cities, on the same day. Upon arriving in Dubai in the evening, i detached myself from the group as we had other agendas and looked at my plan for this escape in the city. From the drop off point, i walked to the closest Metro station (even the stations looked futuristic) and eagerly awaited as the train moved from station to station, and finally brought me to:

Dubai Mall
Well, i didn't stop right in front of this Mall but upon exiting the station, there is a covered, air-conditioned walkway that stretches from the station to the Mall. No sweat; just about 20 minutes of walking. The Mall is huge and you can find almost anything here, as you will read along this post. There are different sections in this Mall; as i walked, i felt like being in a gold market, a high end shopping arena and a theme park. If you have a day to spend in Dubai, come here as this Mall is strategically located to experience the city and its iconic skyscraper.

A dinosaur skeleton in a mall? Meet Dubai Dino, the resident dinosaur. The 80ft long, 25ft high skeleton was air-freighted to Dubai from the US. There was a curator there who was kind enough to attend to my questions. It was my first time seeing a dinosaur skeleton! Incredible!

Me against the diving steel men at a man-made waterfall in the Mall.

Played Sega games as a kid, i cannot but step in.

Dubai Fountain
As night fell, i stepped outside the Mall and witnessed the unfolding of magic on water. The Dubai Fountain is easy to fall in love and not easy to forget. The synchronized music and water jets evoked emotions. Be sure to catch the schedule and find a spot to watch.

Water and...

... music.

 Near the Fountain is where you can just sit and stare at the beauty of Burj Khalifa.

At The Top, Burj Khalifa
I booked a 9pm slot online for my experience up in the sky- and i recommend you do the same if you want to visit this place as tickets do get sold out. The entrance was via the Mall, near the lower food court area (i went looking to get in from the outside until i couldn't bear the heat and went in the Mall to ask for assistance. Little did i know, it was just around the bend inside). They allowed me in early so after studying the story and history of the building, i made my way up via the escalator, to the 124th floor. One-two-four!


Man-made marvel.

At the top (literally), i walked out on the observation deck/balcony, and the city night lights impressed. I heard music and people crowded the window; i knew the Fountain was about to start the next set. There was a Londoner couple who were kind to give me space so i could watch it and not wait for the next set the next half an hour. Watching from below, incredible. Watching from above, out-of-this-world!

City lights...

More city lights...

So near the peak.

When i was done being impressed, awed, excited, speechless, i came down, took this picture of a picture of Burj Khalifa, and then left to grab my late dinner. The Dubai New Year Eve celebration, another goal?

I spent a night at Ibis World Trade Center Hotel, located within walking distance from the Metro station. It was rather late but i felt safe walking to the hotel. In fact, as i have not mentioned yet about this, i generally felt safe traveling in UAE. It is easy to ask for directions too as people can speak English. The Hotel was simple; i slept soundly but grinning through my dream, awoke for breakfast then checked out to complete my Dubai escape.

Aquarium and Underwater Zoo
I returned to the Dubai Mall as i have not completed what i wanted to do. I was supposed to join my friends for this but they delayed coming to the Mall and i had to proceed with it myself as i had a brunch appointment with another friend.

In the Mall, one cannot but notice the large aquarium with various fishes. I bought a basic combo ticket for the Aquarium and the Underwater Zoo- located apart from each other at different levels but inside the Mall. There are other features here such as diving in the aquarium, learning behind the scene or a boat ride above the water but i didn't partake in any of such. The separate tickets allowed me to visit the Aquarium first, meet my friend later and then visit the Underwater Zoo. The Aquarium visit was short, just the tunnel through the Aquarium, but as a marine enthusiast, i cannot help but to linger longer than usual, watching these creatures especially the leopard rays and sharks.

Walking through the tunnel.

Smiley.

As much as i like the Aquarium, i enjoyed the Underwater Zoo more. This zoo-in-a-mall was tidy and well-maintained. Sometimes, i needed to remind myself that i am in a mall.

Piranha!

"Look at the camera," said a Giant Rat.

Target shooters, Archerfish.

On the upper level are mostly nocturnal creatures and natives to the UAE. No surprise to see a scorpion there.

Owls in a ghostly forest background.

What colour do you want, Chameleon?

Penguins obediently queuing up for food while one looks on. Do catch their feeding times as there are keepers there to tell more about the animals.

Three baby crocs; one seen here from a dome enclosure. You can meet its parent too. Quite the beast.

So yes, there are crocodiles in this Mall!
(and that's for you to see for yourself)

I exited the Zoo not long after, delighted by my experience in Dubai Mall. I still had one more stop to make before returning to the pick up point to head back to Abu Dhabi.


Dubai Marina
While back at the metro station, i met a family from Kazakhstan. They were there for vacation and wanted to go to the Dubai Marina, but they were not clear and i thought Dubai Marina Mall. I cannot say for certain i was familiar but i knew we were heading the same direction so i asked them to follow me. Curious, they asked if i was on holiday, on my own, and i struggled to give them a reply. Was i there for work, training, or holiday? In the end, i told them i was a visitor because technically, i wasn't working at that point in time. They were more fascinated when i told them my age. Although their English wasn't perfect, at least i could communicate with them. I regretted not exchanging contacts, because suddenly i wanted to see Astana, Kazakhstan.

At a fork on my way to the Dubai Marina, i turned to tell them and pointed to the direction of Marina Mall. Then they told that they are not going to Marina Mall but the Marina, my last destination. We walked from the Metro and within a few minutes, we were at the Marina.


The twisted building being the highlight, the Marina is a nice stroll on the walkway. 

When all was said and done, i bade farewell to the family who then returned to the Dubai Mall (because i recommended to them to see the Fountain and go up At The Top at night) and i continued my way to the pick up point.

Along the way, i saw the silhouette of Burj al-Arab. 
My dream of visiting Burj Khalifa began with the silhouette of it.

I truly enjoyed my time in Dubai- the night lights, the unforgettable views, the meeting with my friend after almost 3 years. I found nothing less in this Dubai escape; unless you consider too short a time as one.

My Abu Dhabi Journey: The Grand and The Beautiful
My Abu Dhabi Journey: The Dubai Escape
My Abu Dhabi Journey: Sand and Speed

Comments