My Brussels x Amsterdam Journey: Spring and King

I made my way from Brussel Noord to Amsterdam Sloterdijk by FlixBus after a relaxing time in Brussels. This bus route was relatively scenic- i saw traditional wooden windmills in the fields and sheep grazing away along the way. I was told of the high energy the Amsterdam city contains by a hostel-mate and was excited to feel it for myself.

Close shot of a tulip.

I arrived at the Sloterdijk Station and it was cold. I printed my map to walk to my hostel (approximately a 50-minute walk which i thought was ok) but after factoring in the weather, the distance and my luggage, i changed my mind and boarded the train to Centraal Station. My hostel is located across the canal so i exited the station, identified the correct ferry and embarked on a 5-minute ride. When in Amsterdam, go on a canal, right?

View of the Centraal Station from across the canal.

I stayed at ClinkNoord Hostel and honestly, it is one of the largest hostels i've stayed in. The lobby/living space is wide with pool table and reading corner; the kitchen and bar area is spacious. The staffs were friendly and they organized events- one will be mentioned in this post. Although it is located on the other side of the canal, the ferries are frequent. I checked in but quickly stored my personal belongings and headed out to explore. Can you guess the first place i went to?

I will reveal it in my next post.

I was lucky to be in Amsterdam this time of the year- spring, because this time of the year is when the flowers are blossoming. And flowers i meant tulips. Lots and lots of tulips.

I took the opportunity to visit Keukenhof Garden. Almost an hour by bus from the city, this garden that opens only 2 months in a year, was already crowded with tourists at 10 am. I wondered why tulips have become almost synonymous to Netherlands, so i did some reading. Surprisingly, tulips are not originally from Netherlands, instead, tulips are imported into the country in the sixteenth century. Tulip Mania happened in the mid-seventeenth century, when tulips caused the first economic bubble and people used bulbs as money. Tulips became so popular that it appeared in art. This largest flower garden was definitely a pretty sight at almost every turn; hence, i'll let the photos do the talking. A minimum of 3 hours should be spent here.

Random colours near the entrance, ready to excite!

Lovely.

Something different.

Definitely different.

Imagine strolling in the garden.

 
Orange. And blue. Or purple.

Sweet.

Windmill and clog. And me.

My lunch- raw herring! One of the food to eat, i braved my stomach to taste this. Not like sashimi but it was okay.

Scenic.

"My time for flowers too!"

Flower. Water. Sky.

Shades of a colour.

Beauty.

White as snow.

I visited Vondelpark and it was an ordinary park. If you couldn't make it to Keukenhof, there are some tulips at the center. In fact, there are tulips in the city, albeit not as grand.

Reflection.

I deliberated; if not now, then when. So i scheduled this journey to include King's Day. King's Day is an annual Dutch holiday held on the 27th of April to honour King Willem-Alexander. It is a day filled with open-air fun and the mood is festive throughout. On the night before, the hostel had a party by the canal event. I joined, because it wrote of celebrating in true style and i couldn't miss this chance. A bunch of us gathered at the lobby then crossed the canal and went to the streets. It was like a music-and-drink festival. Stages were set on various streets. We hopped from one to the other and returned to the one we felt was good. The performer was entertaining. It was easy to get into the groove.

Flag on my cheek.

Danced here.

And here.

I wandered around the city the next day, particularly enjoying Jordaan. The colour orange is more common than ever. There were flea markets ongoing, stretches and stretches of shops, canals packed with boats, and music still playing. It was nice and cute to see families- parents with their children, working together to sell their products.

Street fun.

Music in the day.

Party on a boat.

This box of strawberries cost 1 euro!

I beat my record: that day became the most steps recorded on my phone. After a warm shower, it was a good night's rest. Reflecting on the beauty of the flowers and the fun during King's Day, i was glad i did what i did.

Kroket from the vending machine. I liked this so much i had rounds at the FEBO outlet.

I am grateful.

My Brussels x Amsterdam Journey: Bruxelles
My Brussels x Amsterdam Journey: Spring and King
My Brussels x Amsterdam Journey: I Am

Comments