My Krabi Journey: The 5 of Krabi

Krabi has a charm that i can yet dust off. The laid-back feel, the sounds of waves crashing on shore, the wind whistling through the leaves. I solo backpacked Krabi, looking to immerse myself in nature while satisfying my outdoor passion and i returned wanting more. I found it hard to believe when i see pictures of limestone hills near beaches but when i stood before them myself, i blinked many times, only to realize that such beauty does exist, unfiltered, unedited, and they really are there.

Postcard picture of long-tail boat at Railay East.

With only a day to plan for and with references from my friends who had been to Krabi, i devised my journey, spanning across Ao Nang, Railay and Krabi Town. It was challenging for me to pick but i have selected 5 things you must do while in Krabi (during low, wet season).

5. Ao Nang Beach
I stayed a night in Ao Nang and i enjoyed the stroll to and along its shelly beach. From the beach, you can see the islands that make Krabi a popular island hopping destination. The Ao Nang Pier is one of the gateways to the islands. I wanted to take a long-tail boat to Railay the next morning but due to choppy sea, there was no boat available and i needed to take from Ao Nammao Pier to reach Railay.

Limestone hills adorned the beachfront.

4. Morning, Day, Night markets
If you're looking for local food, the best places to find them are in the markets- morning, day or night. I woke up early and walked to the Morning Market, which is Southern Thailand's biggest indoor market, where i had rice soup (porridge) and kuihs. The City Market opens from 3pm onwards and you can start hunting more food here. On weekends, visit the Night Market where you can find souvenirs to bring home, taste local delicacies and street food (whether sitting on a table or eat standing), and get painting, painted on or painted at while being accompanied by live or recorded music.

Children painting while visitors throng the Night Market.

Buy your food and eat here- if you can find a place to sit.

3. Tiger Cave Temple and Hill
With an hour and half to spend here, i was determined to do both. I quickly began my climb and i underestimated the 1260 steps to reach the top of the hill. I had to take breaks in between to rest my aching legs but surely, i was closer and closer to the peak. The higher i went, the happier i was, i was enlightened. The view from the top is splendid- the hills, the town, the sea.

Buddha statue overlooking from above.

2. Emerald Pool and Blue Pool
When i dipped myself in and came out from the Emerald Pool, i felt energized, as if i was regenerated from the Lazarus Pit (Fountain of Youth).

Finding a way into the pool. Take care as the rocks are slippery.

Don't settle for just this swimming activity. Take another 400m further in and be mesmerized by the Blue Pool that awaits you at the end. However, it is unsafe to swim here.

Did i say it felt magical (or mystical)?

1. Hike/climb to Viewpoint of Railay Beach via Phra Nang
Railay was my favourite part of this journey and it won't be fair to select all activities on Railay, so if i had to choose, it is this. I wouldn't say this to be a hike, actually, because at some point you need to be down on all four and climb your way up on rocks. The climb took almost an hour depending on your fitness level, but it is worth the effort, sweat and mud.

In action.

From the Viewpoint, you can see both the Railay East and West.

My list is not comprehensive as i did not do all Krabi has to offer; this list is created from my time and experience in Krabi but i hope it is good enough for you if you plan to do a short trip there. I will write more of my journey in separate blog posts, so stay tuned!

I'm going to leave you now with another picture.

Khob kun krap, Krabi!

My Krabi Journey; The 5 of Krabi
My Krabi Journey: Beaches
My Krabi Journey: I Heart Krabi

Comments