My Krabi Journey: I Heart Krabi

The long-tail boat left Railay and as i saw it diminished from a distance, i saw buildings and more mangroves, indicating that i am closer to the town. The boat dropped the family off at the resort's pier, leaving me alone with the coxswain. Not long after, i arrived at Chao Fa Pier. I paid him and started walking, with my map in hand, searching for Chaofa Road. It is less than a 5-minute walk.

Pak-Up Hostel
I checked in and showered- oh, the feeling of being clean again after the rock climbing done earlier.

This hostel is strategically located at the center of town. It is clean and neat. However, the mattress was rather hard and there was no free water. I purchased my water bottles at the nearby 7-Eleven (and there are plenty of 7-Elevens around). There is a rooftop bar but it was closed on my visit, and a Playground Bar at the back where travelers hang out for a drink and games. I had a free Free Black Cock cocktail (yes, i still find it weirdly catchy, but weirdly wrong when spoken aloud). A recommended place to stay.

Crab Statue
Recharged, i walked along Utarakit Road, along the river bank and reached a popular sight seeing spot.

With the crab statue...

... and the iconic Khao Khanab Nam at the far end.

The road along the river bank.

City Market
I moved onto one of the lanes and found myself at the City Market, where it was bustling with locals and tourists buying fruits or food.

Busy, busy.

While walking around Town, do look at their traffic lights and lamp post. Interesting? A caveman with traffic lights! Also, notice the messy wiring.

And i cannot resist taking picture of this cute zebra crossing. The zebra is really crossing.

At night, i met a friendly girl from Couchsurfing and we walked around the Night Market. She introduced me to some local delicacies. Then, i retired early for another long but exciting day.

Morning Market
I didn't want to go at first because i wanted to sleep more. But i dragged myself out of bed and prepared to go. Located near the Shell Station, this is Southern Thailand's biggest indoor market and i was glad i came because there was so much local food to try.

I took a left turn from the main road as i saw this above the traffic light. Then, i saw the Shell Station and i saw the market. Better than a map.

Busy, busy.

Yummy rice soup (porridge). It reminded me of the one i tried in Cambodia. This hearty bowl of breakfast was reasonably at 20 baht.

I liked this- round and innocent looking, crispy on the outside, soft and sweet on the inside from coconut milk.


After breakfast, i returned to the hostel to prepare for a tour (yes, today i became a tourist) i signed up yesterday. Our guide was (Big) Apple and she took care of us for the day trip.

Elephant Ride
Our first destination was the elephant trekking camp. The elephant ride took about 30 minutes.

Quite a nice trek through the bushes and pond.

Me on elephant.

I had the seat to myself and when the keeper came off to take my photograph, he asked me to sit on the elephant and not on the seat. I was nervous at first, of falling off the elephant, but i carefully positioned myself. When he came back up, i returned to my seat and he jokingly asked for tips at the end of the ride. He mentioned 200 baht and he said it was also for the elephant. I had my doubts, and my memory of being scammed came flooding.

Don't mess with us!

He let me ride the elephant myself back to the platform. When i came off, he wanted to leave with another passenger. Then, i knew he wasn't trying to scam me. I gave him a 100 baht tip, delighted as he was, i was too from the ride. Take care of 'Bong' for me.

Tiger Cave Temple and Hill
Not too far was our next stop. With only an hour and a half to spend here, we were offered a choice of climbing to the top of the hill or the Tiger Cave and surrounding area near ground level. I wanted to do both so i quickly hiked up the flight of steps. I underestimated the might of 1260 steps and saw myself stopping frequently to catch my breath and rest my aching legs. Slowly but surely, i reached the top and the view was spectacular.

Just keep climbing.

Mini pagodas along the way. Remember to turn to look around for the view.

Here it is. It was quiet and peaceful at the top, and having reached it, i felt enlightened.

The Buddha statue sits overlooking Krabi. 

Take some time to let the climb settle on you.

Near the start of the climb.

I looked at my watch and with another 40 minutes to go, i knew i had to get down quick to see the Tiger Cave. I descended hastily but carefully, and when i saw Apple, she said i did a good time up and down the hill (about an hour and 20 minutes). I walked quickly to the Tiger Cave. Adapted from the tourist board, this place got its name from a tiger that once used to seek refuge and sleep at the cave, and when it let out a roar, people began calling this the Tiger Cave. A group of Buddhist monks and nuns came, and the tiger left towards the mountain range and have never been seen again.

In the Tiger Cave.

Tip: There are monkeys around so beware of your belongings.

Tip: The climb up is tough, especially when you have limited time. 

Emerald Pool and Blue Pool
We had lunch about 45 minutes away at a restaurant and this was my most complete meal. Free-flow of rice, chicken stir-fried with basil and nuts, chicken cooked in coconut milk, stir-fried broccoli and cauliflower, and watermelon slices for dessert. Any shirtless picture of me after this shows how round my tummy was.

Entrance to the Pools were 200 baht for international tourists (included in our tour) and to reach Emerald Pool there were two routes-1km or 800m. Take the 1km route as the nicely built wooden walkway passes through scenic scenery of the pools and forest.

It rained when we reached the Emerald Pool so we took shelter under a hut nearby. When it stopped (did i mention how teasing the weather could be?) a few minutes after, we kept our bags at the side and swam. It was crowded but i knew i had to experience the Pool myself; i came out feeling as if i regenerated from the Lazarus Pit (of Arrow TV series).

Into the Emerald Pool
  
Tip: The rocks may be slippery so be careful when going in or out the Pool

Tip: Remember to bring/use insect repellent

I dried off and followed the walkway for another 400m. I recommend you to take some time to walk to the Blue Pool. Although it is not allowed for swimming, it is much prettier and it felt magical.

Beauty.

We had to rush back to meet the group so we took the dull walk back, the 800m route.

Hot Spring
Still wet from the Pool and rain, we hopped onto the van and not far was our final stop of the day. Unlike the Pools where we had to walk far in, the hot spring was close by and soon, we soaked ourselves in the warm pools. It is recommended for 15 to 20 minutes, so time yourself when you get in.

The ride back to Krabi Town took about an hour.

Night Market
After showering, i returned to the Night Market for my last night in Krabi. With the remaining cash i had in hand, i bought souvenir and tried the local snack/street foods i wanted to try before leaving.

The weekend Night Market just before dark.

Children painting at the market.


Mango sticky rice.

Quail eggs.

Meat (pork or chicken) on sticks.

Grilled (smashed) banana.

There's an open area to buy food and dine here.

I'm not sure what this is called but it is interesting. The Mee Hoon is ready on the plates at the side and you can choose or mix the gravy/curries according to your preference, Mine has peanut sauce, similar to that of Malaysian Kuah Kacang for satay.

I returned to the hostel, packed my bags and slept. How time flies!

My traveling companion. No matter how advanced technology can be, i still enjoy using the map while traveling. Call me old-school?

I now know that Krabi has much to offer, of which i did some and accomplished what i came for. Some places are rather touristy but generally, they are still unspoiled. Although mostly Thai language was used, i believe tourism has increased the awareness of the English language and i didn't really have a hard time conversing with the locals. Throughout my journey, i felt safe too.

This journey has left a lasting, positive impression that i will remember forever. Not only was it a solo backpacking, it was one of my most impulsive decisions ever, a decision i am delighted i made. Will i visit Krabi again? Yes, for i have done many, i missed a lot too. I heart Krabi- and i've got a T-shrt to prove it.

Until then, Khob Kun Krap, Krabi!

My Krabi Journey; The 5 of Krabi
My Krabi Journey: Beaches
My Krabi Journey: I Heart Krabi

Comments