My Krabi Journey: Beaches

This Journey is the most impromptu travel decision i have ever made. Granted the days off, i surfed the Air Asia website for cheap deals for a quick fix of getaway. Krabi was on the list and i immediately grew excited. My knowledge of Krabi was limited- i only knew it is in Thailand and it is popular for water activities, but not how it is mapped and what water activities. I did further research and rock climbing popped up. I knew i wanted to do it- and set it as one of my main goals.

I asked my mom if she wanted to come along on this trip but when i mentioned some activities i would be doing, she declined. So, this gave birth to my solo backpacking- i booked the flight ticket and accommodation, dusted my backpack, prepared my budget, and devised my itinerary:

Ao Nang - Railay - Krabi Town

Sawadeekap.

I arrived at Krabi Airport on a cloudy Wednesday afternoon. It is the low and wet season in July, but it wasn't all quiet. After exiting the arrival hall, many tourists flocked to the telco booths for prepaid phone and internet services. They were inexpensive but i thought i could use the Wi-Fi at my accommodation so i didn't buy any. Instead, i grabbed a map of Krabi and quickly got a bus ticket over the counter on the right to Ao Nang. The fare was 150 baht (a taxi can cost up to 600 baht). I boarded a bus loaded with other travelers outside, after mentioning to an attendant my hostel destination. It was a good 30-minute ride through the town and out.

Tip: Get regular flight times into and out Krabi Airport. The bus has operating hours and irregular timing may require a taxi; to or from Krabi Town costs 400 baht.

Glur Hostel
The bus stopped and the driver called for Glur Hostel travelers. I was the only one that stood. He pointed at the lane i was to walk in to, and i descended the bus. I noticed the signboard and followed, the same direction the driver told me. I began walking, but doubted because it felt rural as i walked further in and no sight of the hostel. Then i saw the hostel and entered.

Arrived!

Eric greeted at me and showed me to my room. I cannot but feel astonished by the resort-like set-up of the hostel. The room was clean and spacious. In front of my bed, i have a mini cupboard-cum-locker and a compartment to hang my clothes. Definitely recommended if you plan to stay in Ao Nang. I quickly changed into my beach wear, grabbed a banana, filled my water bottle, and left the hostel on foot.

Spacious room with curtains for (at least some) privacy.

Public area for making morning toast, take water or just hang out- until the mosquitoes annoy.

Thailand McDonald's
I knew i wanted to try local food immediately but i didn't foresee any other McD outlets for the later part of my journey. So i stepped in and ordered a Samurai Pork Burger.

Juicy juicy.

Ao Nang Beach
I liked the street leading towards the beach. It had a laid-back feel with eateries and shops along the way (i had my McD here). It was windy and i could see dark clouds rolling in over the horizon. But it didn't rain. I headed to the shelly beach. There was no boat and i feared the same for the next day- when i need to get to Railay.

There, the McD!

Strolling along the street.

With the waves crashing in, against the backdrop of the surrounding famous Krabi islands.

The limestone hills at the far left of the beach.

Expect more selfies (i don't normally do selfies but i had too).

Tip: Ao Nang Pier is one of the piers that is gateway to the islands and Railay. However, it is weather/sea dependent. 

Tom Yam and Fresh Coconut
My first dinner and i had what is Thai cuisine most popular dish- the Tom Yam.

Yummy...

Ao Nammao Pier
Initially, i thought i could do the popular island hopping tour but having seen the weather, i decided not to and checked out from my hostel early. I went to the Ao Nang Pier and waited, but as i feared, there was no boat. I asked the lady manning the booth and she said there probably won't have any boat for the day and she recommended to try other piers. I asked if it is guaranteed but she just nodded. I was thinking to cancel my plan to Railay altogether when i saw the weather but i pushed luck and took a 20-minute tuk-tuk ride for a fee of 200 baht (originally 300 baht) to Ao Nammao Pier. There, i saw long-tail boats and i was confident that i could get to Railay. I was glad i did make it to Railay.

Getting ready to go.

Tip: The long-tail boats leave for Railay East every hour from 0730 to 1830, for 100 baht.

Garden View Resort, Railay East
Railay is actually still on the mainland, however it is inaccessible due to it being surrounded by limestone hills.The boat harboured on Railay East and i made my way to shore on floating bridges. It was low tide then and i could see crabs. Railay East beach is more swampy and not favourable for swimming. I followed the map to my resort, walking further in and up. Located on the far side of Railay East and on a hilly region, there began my climbing experience, although a mild one. I was shown my room but the first thing i went for was the balcony, overlooking the sea. Some parts were blocked by the trees but generally, i could see the sea, boats and limestone hills. I kept my belongings and headed back down.

Just outside my front door.

My cabin.

Part of the view.

Tip: Due to low season, resorts on Railay offer discounted room rates. I got mine at 50%.

Phra Nang Cave Beach
I headed south to Phra Nang Cave Beach and the beach was splendid. I preferred this beach compared to Railay West beach.

There are monkeys along the way (or anywhere possible on Railay) so beware of your belongings. I saw one jumped onto a traveler's back and rummaged for his water bottle.

I saw people rock climbing and these oddly looking rocks.

The cave.

Me against a limestone rock not far from the beach. 

Splendid view, is it?

Viewpoint, Phra Nang
I looked for direction to the Viewpoint, only to realize that i walked past it earlier- because it didn't look like a path to me. It was rocky and muddy, and i was not properly geared for a climb. I had my slippers and two bags on. But i didn't want to go back and change. So i began climbing.

After almost an hour, on all four, red with mud smeared on my legs, clothes and bags, i was at the Viewpoint. I met a couple from Spain and Columbia and together we headed down- i didn't want to go down alone (in case anything happens to me coming down). Nearby there is a lagoon but we heard the path was steep and dangerous. Considering all factors, we decided to skip it.

Flashing a smile for the camera.

Tip: Remember to bring/use insect repellent

Pad Thai and Mango Juice
Another local dish that i wanted to try and is now my favourite of Thai cuisine, i had Pad Thai for lunch. I liked the gooey texture of the noodles, with a sourish sweet taste. I missed a cooking class in this journey, otherwise i would learn to make this dish.

Slurp!

Railay West Beach
Like the other beaches, Railay West beach is also adorned with surrounding limestone hills. The bay makes it favourable for swimming. I hit the waves to clean myself off the mud and sand- but the sand sticks back on.

A panoramic view of the beach.

I have to take this shot.

Diamond Cave or Phra Nang Nai Cave
After the beach, i walked to the Diamond Cave. It can be reached via walking through the Walking Street or towards Diamond Cave Resort and through a side door out. Entrance fee into the cave is 40 baht. I entered alone and i thought there would be other people inside. I was, again, alone inside. The cave is well lit with some interesting formations to see. Still, i didn't want to stay long inside with bats (and what other creatures) hovering above (or crawling below).


Caves!

If you are pressed for time, you can skip this.

Pineapple Fried Rice
Prior to my journey, this was my favourite. It still is one of them, especially with the authentic flavours. Slightly sweet with pineapple and raisins, and crunchy from the pieces of cashew nuts, dinner was satisfying.

I chose this seat so i can dine while enjoying the view.

Real Rocks Rock Climbing
I registered online for this rock climbing session and had been looking forward to it since. Me and other climbers gathered at the shop on Railay East at 9am and got our gears. We were divided into small groups; me with another 2 experienced climbers headed to Diamond Cave Wall. The half-day session costs 1000 baht. It was my first time climbing outdoor; instead of following the coloured points like indoor top rope, i had to look for chalk marks (or just find any my hands can grip on).

On my way up... just a little more push.

Smiling from the top.

With Rain, our climbing guide. I admire his easy and smooth climb to the top and down.

I would put rock climbing as one of the things to do in Krabi but it is not for everyone. Perhaps a beginner session or get trained before trying. Now that i tried rock climbing, i'm going to continue to push myself further, to scale higher grade climbs, and partake in cliff climbing or deep water soloing.

Green Curry Chicken and Pineapple Juice
Sore from the climb, my lunch was deliciously full. The aromatic green curry was enough to wet my rice and whet my appetite.

More rice may be?

I waited at the pier for a long-tail boat ride to Krabi Town. It requires at least 7 people for a boat and costs 150 baht. I was lucky i didn't have to wait long, as another family was returning to their resort in Krabi Town.

Or may be i wasn't lucky, because i had to leave Railay, a place i have grown fond of. 

The iconic image- the long-tail boat.

Just strolling along Railay East.

Fascinating scenery.

Anyway, this marks the end of the first leg of this journey. Despite working offshore and seeing the sea everyday, the beach is different altogether and i simply enjoy resting underneath a tree, listening to the songs of the sea. And i thought i needed to only do one climb, which is the rock climbing, but i ended up climbing not two but three (another in the next post) climbs. Every climb was worth the effort. 

Comments