My Saudi Journey: See Me Work Those Tongs!

Did the title capture your attention?

Part of this post is dedicated to sharing of my experience on the rig. It was my first time to a jack up rig (or any rig) and seeing the tools and equipment on board, in real, was an ambition of mine after graduation. When i saw images or videos of roughnecks working on the rig floor during my university days, i wondered if i would work as such (i didn't wish to because i'm not a big guy and the job looked rough). Well, that realized too, and i saw myself working through as a Roustabout (performing general labour), Floorman (a better name than Roughneck) and Derrickman (i enjoyed being the Derrickman the most).

While i did work with tongs- it required some skills to latch them onto drill pipes, i befriended the iron roughneck. With just a press of the button or a twist of the knob, i watched the machine rolled to position and the drill pipes make up or break out. Almost everything on the rig weighs multiples of my own weight, so lifting tools definitely aided lots of job. For this, the air winch and i became buddies. Without, even with all my might, it just, stubbornly, won't budge.

Being on the rig floor , i was close to various 'animals'. The 'dog'house or driller cabin was where the driller sits and runs operations. There were 'cat'heads for handling connections. 'Rabbit's ran in and out of drill pipes on the rack or while picking up. 'Cat'walk for the tools to 'strut'? We don't want to have 'fish' in the well. And i was like an 'orang utan' up at the 'monkey'board, some 80 feet of the rig floor.

Look who came to visit? I checked and i think it is an Arabian Carpetshark. On another location, we were surrounded by ducks.

Food puzzle. Working on shifts, i was well fed. Menu varied from local to Western, and on some nights, we had BBQ. Also, sometimes i joined the other local crew for meals (usually kabsa chicken)- we sat on a plastic mat, surrounded the tray of food and used our hands. Though i know how to eat using my hands, i am not as adept as my parents or sister or brothers. So i found myself picking rice up.

After spending weeks offshore, i came to Base B in a little, quiet town called Khafji. My friend told me that the town was just developing and i noticed the much ongoing construction work around.


Some of the restaurants that i visited and the meals i had. I enjoyed the mix kebab with hummus dip. Delectable. Others in the picture include grilled chicken with rice, broasted chicken, filafel, Lay's, Fuschia breads.

When my colleague mentioned about going to Farm, i literally thought a farm. It is a supermarket for grocery. Next to it is a small mall with an indoor amusement park for family.

Look at the variety of dates!

A pretty sculpture on a roundabout. There were many roundabouts in the town.

From Base B, i returned to Base A and this time, i visited Dhahran Mall. Initially, i was denied entry into the Mall being a single male (it was a 'Family' day) but after explaining to the guard, i was allowed in. The Mall was huge! It was only one floor; i thought i was walking in circles but i was actually at a new arc, with different shops. Mostly international brands, so i was again at the wrong place to look for local souvenir. Comparing between the 2 malls, i preferred this.

Me at one of the gates.


Beautiful night view outside the Mall, with small pond and sidewalk tents. For the moment, i felt somewhere else.

Across the road was another stretch of shops. My friend suggested to go to Jarir Bookstore. My thought, books and magazines? It was actually an electronic store too. Nearby was Ikea.

I left Saudi for the second time two days after. While i may not have bought any souvenir (i couldn't even find a key chain in the airport) or tasted the most authentic of its cuisine, i have taken with me valuable memories of the people and places, and develop a better understanding of its culture.

My Saudi Journey: Where's The Sand?
My Saudi Journey: See Me Work Those Tongs!

Comments