My Brussels x Amsterdam Journey: I Am

Between the flowers and the celebration, i spent my time leisurely exploring the city and sometimes joining a queue. I'll say again- the city is walk-friendly, but it could be quite a walk between places. So if you plan to walk, have a good pair of walking shoes. I intended to rent a bicycle to cycle around (trying to be as local as possible); however, i was already cold and me in the wind by cycling was definitely a no-no. I was good on foot.

And umbrella. Bring one. It rained sporadically and unexpectedly. It looked sunny in the morning and by noon, it drizzled. It stopped, then drizzled again. It actually hailed a few times. As a boy from a country that is warm or wet, watching the pellets fall onto my umbrella was an experience. Also, you wouldn't want to be standing in line, in the rain, in the cold. So, bring one.

With my shoes on, a fold-able umbrella in bag and a thirst for adventure, i went to one of the best things free in Amsterdam- playfully capturing my mark with the I Amsterdam sign. This sign used to be a moving target but it has now found its spot, backdrop with the beautiful Rijksmuseum building. There are flowers around this building and also in front of the sign. It is rare to have a picture without other tourists on it, so just take.

I am on the 'a' in 'dam' in 'I amsterdam' in Amsterdam.

Pretty sight.

I continued south and there stood an artistic, space-like structure: the Van Gogh Museum. I did not purchase my ticket online so i had to queue. Lucky it wasn't too long; even so, it's worth the wait. This museum has the largest collection of Van Gogh's art, who found fame mostly after passing. Apart from the art, i learned about his life- and how his life was translated into art moved me. Honestly, i did not know much of him or his life until this visit, and i'm glad i did because he felt real to me, determined and a man with dreams. The relationship between him and his brother was affectionate, at times touching. Abiding by the rule, i did not take any photographs inside except at the designated spot.

The guard i asked pointed me to the only allowable photograph.

Despite not being a beer person, this attraction caught my attention, aptly named the Heineken Experience. Set in the old Heineken brewery near Rijksmuseum, this visit explained the process of producing one of the most popular brands in the world. Also if you're interested, you can be a certified pourer by attending and demonstrating to the instructor that you can prepare two glasses of beer by standard. No pressure when all eyes are on you! The simulator ride was fun- you become the beer.

History in present.

In the works.

Bottling. Here, you can customize your name on the label for a fee.

Walking down the road will lead to Albert Cuyp Market. I was there in search for the recommended stroopwafel. Unfortunately, it was closed during my visit. I tried locating another recommended eatery but it was under renovation. Still not giving up on trying, i bought a packet of stroopwafel from one of the Albert Heijn shops i saw so frequently throughout the city. It was sweet but gooey. I read that one way of having it is to place it above a hot cup of tea or coffee to soften it prior to eating.

Venturing to the other side of the city, the Anne Frank House is another must-visit place of mine. I queued for about one and a half hour for this historic site. Having read the Diary and made even more popular with The Fault in Our Stars, it was a memorable experience to be at that annex. The included audio tour was informative, so fret not if you have not read the Diary before stepping in.

Statue memorial.

The House from afar.

Facade of the house.

Just a shot of the canal and houses by it.

I find this word cute: poffertjes. It is a coin-sized pancake. I stumbled across The Pancake Bakery, noticing its crowded eatery and queue during tea time. I stepped in and immediately felt a cabin, cozy ambiance, like a traditional bakery.

I had the spring special. Covered in cream, chocolate and nuts, the pistachio ice cream was lovely. As for the poffertjes, it's pillow-y, but nothing too spectacular.

Another local snack i tasted was the bitterballen. This adorable balls are made with meat, broth and flour. It is not bitter. It is not exactly like meatballs either. It felt like mini croquettes to me. It has a soft texture inside despite its crunchy, crispy crust.

This snack is great as finger food- just wait til it's not too hot to handle.

One of my focal points in the city is the Dam Square. When i was at the square, i knew i was almost to my destination or my hostel. There's a lot of people and movement in this square. Also, there's a lot of pigeons. And people feeding pigeons. And people chasing pigeons. Or pigeons chasing people.

In the vicinity are the Madame Tussauds, National Monument, Royale Palace Amsterdam and Piazza Dam. Occasionally, there are events held in Dam Square. There was a fun fair the week before i visited, with some thrilling rides i thought i would go on. 

The architecture in Amsterdam was somewhat different than those in Brussels and Paris. While strolling around, this Magna Plaza stood out. It used to be the Former Amsterdam Main Post Office; now it's a fancy shopping mall.

Out of the blue, this mini street with beautiful floor tiles and ceiling appeared. 
It did surprise me.

I chuckled when i saw a Manneken Pis fries shop- that pissing boy didn't want to leave me alone. And i saw that it is claimed to be the best in Amsterdam. So i stood in line, waiting for my turn, deciding on my sauce. I had the small (but not really small) size all to myself. If you want to try, have it with the oorlog sauce. It was delicious! Mayonnaise, peanut sauce (like our kuah kacang) and onions mixture was yummy. I finished the fries and forgot to take a picture.

To answer the question from my previous post, the infamous Red Light District was the first place i visited when i arrived in the city. I actually couldn't find it; i was walking up and down the streets only to realize i had walked past it unknowingly. Honestly, it was not what i expected. Based on the recalling of experience by family and friends, i thought it'd be more... extreme. But i was fine. And it was fine. Until i stepped behind the windows.

The RDL along the canal too.

No, it's not what you think i did. Or did i?

I was quickly intrigued by the Prostitute Museum/Red Light Secrets. A peculiar yet unique museum it was. It was set in one of the houses with red light windows. It was also once a working place. There was a confession box to share all your dirty, deepest secrets anonymously. Some of those pasted on the walls were hilarious. Bad, but hilarious.

Tips anyone?
The feeling is different once you stand behind the window, looking out. It changed my perspective.

For example, if a guy looks/stares at you this way.
This is not a real man, physically; it's a video recording. Still...

With that, this journey recollection comes to an end. I could definitely feel the energy of the city. Perhaps it was due to the King's Day celebration. Perhaps it already is bustling. Whichever it was, i had a wonderful time in the city(ies). The people i've met along the way made this journey more enjoyable. I broadened my horizon and i always believe: travel and learn.

Bedankt!

My Brussels x Amsterdam Journey: Bruxelles
My Brussels x Amsterdam Journey: Spring and King
My Brussels x Amsterdam Journey: I Am

Comments