My Vietnam Journey: Two Nights in Nha Trang

I read that my travel to Nha Trang would be the start of the wet season. Often, i checked its weather forecast and it showed scattered thunderstorms and pouring days. I even emailed a place to check if it opens during rainy days. So when i boarded the plane from KL, i was half expecting wet days, half hoping to get at least an hour, if not a day, of sunshine. I gambled with an umbrella on my side. Surprisingly, upon landing in Cam Ranh International Airport, i was welcomed by blue, sunny, morning sky. Whether it is global warming or a plot to deter tourists in this period (or sheer luck), i was secretly in jubilation.

Shades of blue, censored by sand.

The immigration counter check was quick and soon, i exited the arrival hall. Immediately, i caught sight of many Russian groups, readying to board their tour buses. Prior to my arrival, i learned that there are many Russian tourists in this part of Vietnam. Shops are manned by Russians; menus are written in Russian. Even local Vietnamese speaks Russian. So much so, i never really had local seafood (although popular) but dined at cute, reasonably priced eateries.

Why this?

I did some digging and found out that Nha Trang used to have a Russian port. It has now been converted to the local commercial port, leaving behind traces of Russian influence. It surely felt quirky walking its street. Nevertheless, i also noticed an influx of Chinese and Korean tourists. I was greeted in Mandarin several times. Multilingual, isn't it?

The multiple languages at a stall.

I could not find any bus service from the airport to the city. I talked to a tourism center personnel and she said that there was no bus service to the city from this terminal. Coincidentally, i met another Malaysian couple who was finding their way to the city too. We shared a taxi instead.

A scenic ride by the coast.

I stayed in Aaron Hotel for two nights. The hotel was strategically located among eateries and a short walk across the main road led to the beach. I was upgraded to a 3-person room, so there was plenty of space for a solo traveler. The room was clean and tidy. The swimming pool and gym at the top were small but with the beach nearby, it didn't really matter. The staffs were friendly and helpful to arrange for transport. The breakfast included decent local food. Hence, i didn't venture for street food outside. There were pork served in the hotel breakfast.

My adventure on foot brought me first to the Sailing Club, a popular spot along the Tran Phu road. I didn't dine there and continued on to the flower Tower Incense. This pretty tower was an icon to the city and became my compass to guide me.

Fancy looking. Just looking at the Club.

Not a tall tower but enough for me to spot its beachfront and that i was near my hotel.

From the beach, you can see the Vinpearl Land theme park, accessible using an across water cable car. I skipped this.

I walked in circles, searching for the cafe i wanted to go, only to realize that it had moved to a new location not far from the previous spot. I instantly felt the chic, cozy ambiance of Alpaca Homestyle Cafe as i climbed the stairs to the upper floor. The local waitress and Russian lady owner were friendly and welcoming, making sure my visit was a pleasant one. This cafe was well praised by many reviewers and i vouch for it- a place to eat whenever in Nha Trang.

Fresh clams with well mixed, light and sweet sauce. One of the best spaghetti alle vongole in my books. The latte had a hint of cinnamon, minus coffee art yet tasted delicious.

With a happy tummy, i went to Best Western Premier Havana Hotel, bought a ticket and rode the elevator to the Skylight. As i was there for the evening slot, it opened at 4.30pm and included a free drink. The rooftop had a bar, lighthouse (claimed to be the tallest in the world but i couldn't find any official record to support this), viewing deck, restaurant and glass floor platform. I was there til sunset dark.

Part of the city view.

Lovely bay view in the evening.

Or do you prefer the night light?

Seemed like an ideal spot for party under the moon. It was full moon the night before.

Lit lighthouse with a look of a pool near the restaurant.

After the first step, it wasn't that scary anymore. See how important taking the first step is?

As much as i wanted to linger on and bathe in the moonlight, my seat was reserved by another at 8.30pm. I navigated my way down and headed for dinner at Lanterns Vietnamese Restaurant. This restaurant conducted cooking classes on selected days during the day; none available during my stay. I sat under a string of lanterns, reminisced Hoi An while waiting for my meal.

Claypot Shrimps recommended by the waiter, a chef specialty. A mix of sweet and spicy but a tad too salty, fine when added to rice.

After breakfast the next morning came what i wanted to do most in Nha Trang- mud bath! There were three main centers: Thap Ba Spa, 100 Eggs and i-Resort. I chose i-Resort and it was a laidback half-day spent getting (and staying) wet. I knew from its website that there were electric bus shuttles from the city to the center, so i asked my hotel receptionist to assist in booking a seat on its buggy for me at 9 am. This option was cost effective as opposed to taking a taxi there. The ride took approximately thirty minutes and along the way, i saw the Po Nagar Tower, Long Son Pagoda and Hon Chong Promontory, which was good because i excluded them in my itinerary.

Po Nagar Tower in the distance.

Attractive boulders of Hon Chong seen from the buggy.

There were menu for treatment on its board at the entrance. I selected the mud and mineral bath package, and quickly got changed into my trunk. I stood excitedly as the tub began to fill. My 20 minutes began when the tap closed. I had the tub to myself.

Before i went for mud bath, i had hygiene concerns in sharing the tub with random strangers (awkward too) and reuse of mud. Watching this fresh pouring mud provided comfort of mind.

Soaked in, full body, two thumbs up.

The warm mud was less viscous than i anticipated and dense that i felt buoyed. The session was therapeutic also to the soul.

I got out from the tub reluctantly when the personnel informed that my time in the mud was up. Then i walked over to the overhead shower to clean mud off. I continued to explore the compound. There were many man-made waterfalls for a nice neck/shoulder massage, a hydro-wash jet station like that of a car wash but for humans instead, a slide and several swimming pools. I dipped myself in the circular hot mineral pool.

Peace massage.

Human wash!

Spent most of my time there, here.

After the bathing session, i was not sure if it was the mud bath or the hot mineral pool, i felt my skin soft and smooth, like a baby's butt. Later at night when i wore my shoes without my socks (not the first time), i felt friction at the back of my feet (first time with this pair of shoes). No kidding!

When all was said and done, i showered and put on my dry clothes. I hopped onto the buggy back to the city at 1.30 pm. i-Resort felt like a suitable place for families where kids can roam free in its pools.

It was in the afternoon when i visited Cho Xom Moi (Market). Hence, it was a brief stop as it was a local wet market. Rather hungry, i decided to have lunch. Two cafes i entered did not speak much English, and served only coffees and pastries. I postponed lunch and visited the cathedral as it was nearby.

Touch and go.

The Christ the King Cathedral caught my attention because of its brick structure, Gothic architecture, with a clock at its peak. There was no entrance fee but there were people at the front informing visitors to donate in the box. So i did.

Walking up a slope to the front of cathedral.

The cathedral sits atop a little hill. The inside of the cathedral exuded a European vibe.

Interesting facade.

Amazed by its interior.

As if on another treasure hunt game, i located Alley Cafe in, well, an alley. It was late afternoon when i entered, passing through some drinkers to a table inside. The owner had a pet dog.

Crispy golden, beer battered fish and chips. The accompanying dipping sauce was little but enough to complete the meal.

I returned to my hotel to keep my things and left for the beach with only a towel in hand. The shore was steep. The water level rose from my ankles to knees and chest within a few steps. I felt the strong current, pushing and pulling me. Waves were heightening that i didn't spend long in the water. I dried myself and enjoyed the breeze on sand instead. Unlike My Khe beach in Da Nang, the beach here was slightly littered with rubbish and had fine to coarse sand.

Earlier in the day when it was hotter and less beachgoers. Do note that those benches may requirement fee.

I walked past this restaurant several times during the day. When i Googled for its reviews, i noticed ostrich steak on its menu. Yes, you read right- ostrich! I went for dinner at La Velvet Restaurant. This small restaurant occupied the second floor of the building with limited tables. I sat on the balcony, quickly placing my order. The waiter recommended 'medium', which startled me as i only remembered then that ostrich meat is red meat. I agreed to it.

Ostrich Steak with Wine Sauce. Yummy! The meat was tender and succulent, perfect with the gentle, sweet sauce. May be my favourite poultry yet. The salad and potato sides balanced this dish. The young waiter was attentive but shy, so i didn't confirm with him if they are Russians too.

It isn't a South East Asian city or town if there are no night markets around. No exception here; the night market was just a short street set not far from the restaurant.

Nevertheless, crowded.

Just when i thought ostrich meat was exotic, i saw this being grilled on my way to the hotel. I have seen snakes sold in markets, in cut parts, but never a whole as such. Care to try?

Banana nutella pancake crepe filled with whipped cream from the stall in the earlier picture. Look at its size. It was a lot for me, especially after dinner.

I woke up at five the next morning and patiently waited for sunrise at the beach.

Stunning sunrise, rising above the hill island; its glorious rays painted the cloudy sky.

Street art.

I took the hotel's taxi service to the airport. The queue at immigration check was long so if possible, be there early. My flight was punctual and i was thoroughly entertained by the captain. He was jovial, actively pointed out the views and called himself a tour guide. My friend commented that this is the difference between just doing your job and doing it with passion.

For pho's sake, had one at the airport before boarding the plane.

This getaway to a new place is one of the shortest i have ever undertaken. Two nights in Nha Trang may be short but i accomplished what i set forth for. I came wanting a relaxing time in Nha Trang, a break from reality, and to return home refreshed. I had more. I experienced new things, learned new things, that this further solidifies my motto that no matter where you travel, near or far, long or short, splurge or budget, there will always be new things to gain. It is only a matter of you wanting to see it grow.

Modern looking airport.

I wanted to try the breast milk fruit 'vu sua' (yes, you read right again- or star apple as it is properly called) but i was told that it was not in season. In a next learning, may be?

The Vietnam flag. As usual, road crossing here is exhilarating, perhaps dangerous, with many motorcycles. Just be confident and keep your eyes and ears open.

Disclaimer: Co-operative weather made my travel pleasurable. I cannot say the same if it was raining.

Comments

  1. Vietnam is a nice country and many travelers would love to read to this post in order to know about Vietnam trip. compare park and fly deals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I found your blog because I'm travelling to Nha Trang in August this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monisa and thanks for dropping by! I hope you found something useful here for your travel in August. The beach is nice and i enjoyed the city too, for a short getaway.

      Delete

Post a Comment