My Qatar Journey: Lost in Souq

Doha, or specifically the Hamad International Airport, is a common transit point for many travelers on long distance flights between the east and the west. I transited at this airport several times, never stepped past the immigration because of short time gap. Only recently, with a layover of seven hours, i took the opportunity to explore this capital of Qatar. I may have just scratched the surface but in the few hours there, i had a rollercoaster of emotions- excitement, disappointment, awe and fear, that made this travel unforgettable. Perhaps, a thirst for more instead.

Some Qatari products.

Minus queue time at the airport, minus traffic uncertainty, i planned for a four hour experience. I prioritized my visit to the Museum of Islamic Art (MIA) as i saw it listed among the must dos/sees in the city and focused my research primarily on that place. Upon arrival at the airport, immigration clearance was easy as Malaysians get free visa-on-arrival. Do check if you require visa prior to your visit. I proceeded to the currency exchange booth and replaced some cash with the Qatari Riyal

There are a few ways to go to MIA. Since i was limited by time, i skipped the bus and opted for a blue Karwa taxi. The price difference between bus and taxi was significant but i rather not rush through my travel. The journey from the airport to the MIA took approximately twenty minutes.

The Doha skyline and Museum of Islamic Art adorn the background.

As the sight of the MIA drew close, i grew excited. The taxi drove through the MIA Park and halted near the entrance. A guard approached us quickly and informed that the MIA was closed for the day. My heart sank. Then he candidly told me to come the next day.

I checked online that the MIA opens daily. But i learned later that it was closed for a private event and it was not mentioned in the website. Bummer.

I was allowed to walk its surrounding so i paid my taxi driver and continued on foot. Weather was pleasant. Clear sky, cool air. The whitish-brown building was visually impressive.

Pathway leading up to the MIA.


Dhow spotted nearby.

My initial plan was to dine in the MIA Cafe where it is claimed to provide an excellent view of the Doha skyline. This view from the Doha Corniche was equally scenic. I actually liked the sight of the skyline dotted with dhow, and carried on pressing the capture button on my phone camera.

Models along the green walkway.

Flowers and skyline.


Walking past the Dhow Harbour.

I slowly made my way to the Souq Waqif. This marketplace was relatively quiet around 2pm as most of the shops were closed, but i suppose it transforms into a hive of activities come evening. Nevertheless, i enjoyed my stroll, fancying the beige roads and walls. This souq was renovated in 2006 but maintained its Qatari architectural design.

My entry led me to stalls selling pet.


One can find souvenirs here to bring home.

This souq, translated as Standing Market, reminded me of Chatuchak Market in Bangkok. It is large and segmented into zones catering different needs such as spices, garments, animals and souvenir.

Cushions and lamps. 
Colours and colours.

The main street in this souq was my favourite spot here because of the food shops and shisha lounges.

Simple yet cozy setting of table and chair with the mosaic.

Local structure.


While exploring, these lined, leaning wheelbarrows piqued my curiosity. I have not seen this many clean, proper wheelbarrows in a market and questioned its purpose. I learned that it was sort of a porter service- Al Hamali as they are called, where usually elderly men carry goods in wheelbarrows for customers while they shop. Wheelbarrows like shopping carts; unique definitely.

Wandering around, lost in souq. 

Since i did not have my lunch at the cafe, i was hungry when i arrived in the souq. I went to Parisa Souq Waqif but stood awe-struck at its reflective entrance. Bedazzled! Give me a moment to let my eyes adjust. 

As i walked in, my eyes continued to feast on its grand decor. Water fountain at the center. Mesmerizing chandelier and ceiling. Beautifully colored tiled walls. I was transported to a place only fit for royals.

Service was friendly and professional. The menu suggested many sharing meals so i asked for recommendation on a meal for one person. While waiting for my meal, a complimentary appetizer was served. Appetizing it was!

Refreshing Golab Saffron for the day.

Famed for its Persian cuisine, i had the Joogeh Kebab with rice. It may look simple but the chicken, marinated with saffron, was tender and juicy. A saffron-infused meal indeed.

Delightful aesthetic. Overall, the food was tasty albeit price was on the high side. I guess the price included the ambiance as well. Worth the experience; one of the prettiest restaurants i've dined in.

Yes, i took photo of the toilet too!

More people as the sun goes down.

The Falcon Souq focuses on falconry. If you zoom in on this picture, you can see one perched on a man's arm. Also nearby is the one-of-a-kind Falcon Hospital.

Cool looking cinema.

Flexing my photography muscle with the walkway and shadow shot.
It does emanate a certain charm, isn't it?

I saw the Gold Souq from the outside.

Colours do stand out against the pale brown building.

This souq is also near the prominent Spiral Mosque. Special for its minaret, it is the Kassem Darwish Fakhroo Islamic Cultural Centre.

That rollercoaster ride i mentioned earlier, well, you've read about excitement, disappointment and awe. Now, fear. I decided to take taxi back to the airport so i walked to the nearby stand. Upon reaching the stand, a driver whose taxi was second in queue (Driver B) waved at me. I was heading that direction so i gave a slight nod to that man. May be that was a mistake. Naturally, i went towards the first taxi in queue with Driver A also waving at me, because i thought that was the right move. Driver B grew furious. When i got in the taxi, Driver B continued to argue with Driver A, claiming that he spotted me first. I tried to pacify the situation but my voice drowned in the heated exchange.

When Driver A wanted to exit the stand, Driver B immediately drove his taxi next to ours, not letting Driver A to pass. Trapped, i was on the verge of stepping out the taxi and take neither. But i boldly stayed on. Another taxi driver (Driver C) attempted to intervene, siding with Driver A because they were all in queue. Finally, Driver B backed down and allowed my taxi to move. My thoughts strayed to the extreme and i constantly turned to see if Driver B followed us. Fortunately, he did not, and i calmed down.

What a dramatic event just before leaving! Nonetheless, i believe this is an anomaly, not an accurate representation of the city, and should not dampen any wonderful travel. At least i have another story to tell. If you have a long transit time in HIA, do come out and enjoy getting lost in the souq. Whether to take a taxi or not, i'll leave that up to you.

Where in Doha should i explore next?

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing such informational blog...Do you want to know how to apply for australian visa from qatar and what qualification will needed. Best Immigration consultants in Qatar. Call Now : +974-40176234.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment