My Kuching Journey: Layered ending

Day 6: 3 Layer Tea, Carpenter Street, Indian Street, Old Post Office, Textile Museum, Chinese History Museum, SCR, Waterfront during daytime, Main Bazaar, Kek Lapis (Layered cake)

The final day finally arrived, and my friend and I went over to see what have I not tasted, or tried, or experienced. We nodded at almost all we listed, and the remaining were what we headed for in the last few hours of my stay in Kuching.

Parked near the Indian Street and strolled early in the morning, most of the shops were still closed. We walked over to the Carpenter Street, which to me felt much like Chinatown, and likewise, the stalls had not opened. We decided to have breakfast first until the shops open its door.

The 3 Layer Tea! My friend asked me to try one layer at a time and feel the difference. Then, I mixed them up!

Probably my last breakfast in Kuching, I decided to have Sarawak Laksa. I wanted to really remember its taste!

At the Indian Street, when stalls and shops are opening.

The Carpenter Street on the left and behind me is the Old Post Office. Opposite here is the Textile Museum. Going there when it just opened for the day, I was given a scare of its figures inside. The 'ladies' looked so real I thought I wasn't alone, at first. The shop in the Textile Museum sells at reasonable prices, and can bargain. All things inside are handmade.

The Old Courthouse, now housed a cafeteria, a museum and a tour agency.

Walking across the road from the Main Bazaar, it is the Chinese History Museum. Free entrance. Photographs on permission.

This museum is hi-tech. I was wow-ed by the technology used in the museum, especially at the Chinese musical instruments sections.

Being one of them. At each different Chinese, there is a button you can press to hear a conversation in the dialect. Interesting, right?

The Waterfront in the day.

Be sure to notice the 12 plates of Heritage Walk at the Waterfront. Beginning from 1 to the Kuching today at 12, one can learn the history of Kuching, Sarawak in brief, in minutes. I liked the concept of it.

Main Bazaar is where I bought all my souvenirs. There are many things to buy there. Shirt, key chains, post cards, handicraft and of course, the most looking forward to, the Sarawak Layered Cake or Kek Lapis. With the various colours and flavours, the layer cake is a must buy because for the same length and size, the price here can be almost double or triple.

Before heading back to KL, I decided to try the SCR. Not Sarawak, but Singapore Chicken Rice. It is like the Chicken Rice Shop in KL but I wanted to try because there are as many outlets as there are to Taka- even more.

Flying back to Kuala Lumpur from Kuching, I experienced a new flight experience- a turbulence. But that's another story.

My trip to Kuching was awesome to the max. What captivated and amazed me the most are the natural wonders. No doubt, the advertisement about Sarawak on these wonders are spot on. Next, comes their food. I enjoyed blending in with the people and tasting their laksa, midin, seafood, pepper, tomato noodles- to name a few. My only regret now is not buying enough layered cake and the Sarawak Laksa packets. If I had stayed any longer, I would be fatter. Other than that, I have no regrets at all!

Again, my thanks to my friends for bring me around and sharing the experience together. I hope this piece of recount can be useful for you for your next travel to Kuching. Kuching, tick. Whether I want to go back there someday in the future for another retreat or getaway, tick. Did I have a good time, cross. I had a wonderful time!

Cheers to the wag of the cats!

My Kuching Journey: Layered ending

Comments