Thaipusam 2013 at Batu Caves, Selangor

One thing i like about my country is the festivals celebrated, regardless of my religion, race and culture, that i am part of that uniqueness. The various spices make life interesting, after all.


So when this year, i saw Thaipusam was on a Sunday on a long weekend, i decided to head to Batu Caves- it was a choice well worthy. I have been to Batu Caves several times, often as a guide to my friends visiting KL, and i enjoyed climbing up and down the stairs, usually feeling at peace inside and a sense of completion. But i was warned of the immense crowd for the festival. Photos from previous years in the newspapers showed seas of people and the stairs i usually climbed packed. I wanted to see for myself. I wanted to experience.

My dad dropped me off near Sri Gombak and there began my cultural visit. It was a wise choice to stop me there and i'd recommend the same as the roads were not heavy of traffic, good car parking spots and walking distance to Batu Caves. I went there around 10 am with the sun shining brightly above my head. As i was walking towards Batu Caves, i saw people going the opposite direction and i wondered if i had been late. Despite their exits, the closer i got, the more crowded it became, and there were many who were just arriving. Where used to be the car park spots in Batu Caves, the area was taken over by stalls selling food, drinks, clothes and more. I continued walking.
 


I could see some kavadi- i'd never seen in real before, and moved closer in that direction. Then, it was like a parade of kavadi carriers towards the stairs up Batu Caves. It was colourful and interesting. I cannot but imagine the weight they were lifting high above their heads. I will try to lift one, but not today. Walking in front of me, i could see lime and even coconuts hooked on their bodies; their skin pierced. I noticed they were heading the same direction; then i saw the signs indicating 'Kavadi' and 'Public' lanes for the climb. I queued up in the public lane.


Shoulder to shoulder, under the hot late morning sun, i saw many others waiting patiently for their turn to climb. There were a few tourists who, like me, joined in the festivities. Halfway, i was surpassed by parents cradling their babies using cloth hung on stick in the midst of people. I was fascinated.



Then it was my turn to climb. I reached the top and as i didn't want to disturb their prayers, i turned and headed back down. Being in the crowd was one thing, standing at the top, looking below, was another- the whole area where i walked was crowded and the road was jammed with cars.


I headed back down, passed the kavadi parade, bought a bottle of 100 Plus (it never tasted this refreshing!) and exited. If you want to visit Batu Caves, i recommend you to come during Thaipusam- that if you can withstand the crowd. The feeling of being there is just special. My thought after i returned was, 'why hadn't i gone during Thaipusam before?' Better late than never.

Comments