Fish & Co, Paradigm Mall, Selangor

The moment i stepped into this eatery, i felt like i was at a seaside: breezy (or cold because of the air con), fishy (because of the catchy seafood and fishing equipment pictures on almost every blue wall) and my attire (short beach-like pants and a pair of slippers). The waiters and waitresses greeted us upon our entrance. Since no reservations could be made, we had to queue up for table. Walking to our table, i noticed 'fish bones' lying on every table. Didn't i say i felt like i was at a seaside restaurant?

The magazine-looking menu titled 'The Catch' on a fish bone coaster. Interestingly adorable.

 Catch these 'celebrities' inside this menu.

 Busy Saturday night with Mother's Day celebration the next day.

The menu was fanciful. Much like reading a magazine- colourful, good photographs and creative word-uses. Leafing through the pages, deciding what to have, i was wondering which would 'hook' me into ordering. Fish & Co. is a Singaporean company so my decision was influenced by the idea of going to its origin. Most dishes offered the choice to upgrade into a meal, adding an extra RM 7.95 for the soup of the day and a choice of Kola Tonic or Passion Fruit drink.

The soup of the day was creamy mushroom and it was a real catch! The soup was delicious, fresh and flavourful. The aroma of mushroom mixed with the just-right creaminess and saltiness of the soup made this appetizer delightful. My only complaint was that the plate was too shallow. Behind on the left is the Kola Tonic and right is the Passion Fruit, both providing nothing extraordinary.

Here comes my Singapore Fish and Chips (RM 16.95). To be frank, i was disappointed when it came because my chili crab sauce was nothing more than the length of a chip. Also, the menu said that i should prepare myself to lick the pan dry. How to lick the pan dry when my pan is already dry? In its defence, the skin of the fish fillet was crispy and crunchy. The meat easily broke off from the skin and within itself so instead of poking to feed, i scooped using my fork, after dipping the fork in my bowl of tartar sauce.

My brother's newly introduced Swiss Fish and Chips (RM 16.95). I wouldn't say much difference between my fish and his fish- crispy and crunchy outside, soft and white inside, except for the flavours. My brother seemed to enjoy his dinner.

My dad ordered Barramundi, different than our Fish and Chips' fish. Fish wise, this would be a better choice (obviously). I wasn't exactly thrilled at the white fish fillet of mine but this Barramundi cut out did. It comes with 2 side dishes of choice. The strong flavour of the sauce in this dish also brought out the best of this pan. The rice was tasty and aromatic. I would recommend something from the 'Seafood' or 'Grilled' section if Fish and Chips is not what you're looking for.

Now comes the seafood platter! Nicely arranged prawns, a pile of mussels and a pile of calamari 'sotong', an innocent looking fillet of fish and more chips. The steal of this dish was the sotong. It was cooked perfectly. The flesh was soft enough for me to bite with my teeth and without chewing them long. As if it melted in my mouth. It also had a nice coating of marination. The mussels were alright, the fish was rather plain and the prawns, unfortunately, was missing something for me. My family, however, really enjoyed the prawns. It was fresh, no doubt- even i cannot contest, but it was just lacking the oomph i was expecting of the prawns.

I was hungry at the start and food arrived quick despite the crowd; so kudos to their quick service. Also, i found the staff friendly and helpful. We were there for a birthday celebration and they gathered around our table, and sung their hearts out. Again, kudos to the team of the day on our visit.

One bite and i will be hooked? Not sure; may be not hooked but my visit was pleasant and satisfactory, enough to make me return for a second visit some time. I must say, i enjoy their creative word play and the catchy concept of a seaside eatery evident on their plates (or pans) and tables, walls and menu. The concept would be a point to draw me in.

What? Fish and Chips.
Where? Fish and Co. Paradigm Mall. CF 53 Paradigm Mall, Kelana Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
How much? As shown as of 11 May 2013.

Comments