My Paris Journey: Me and My Three Macaroons


No, this ain't macaroons. These are Burgundy escargot.

There is more to Paris than what i've written in 'Painting a Dream', and some are free admission.



Sacre Coeur Basilica had left a sour taste on this otherwise sweet journey. I walked towards Sacre Coeur until a split on the road: to go up via the tram or the stairs in the park. I chose the latter, as i've read about musician playing or people picnicking along the way. I saw none of those sort and there was where i was scammed- the infamous Bracelet Scam.

I noticed a group of men at the top of the stairs and i thought if i'd walk fast and ignore them, they would ignore me. One man approached and i kindly declined. He reached for my hand; i quickly retracted. I couldn't, and by then his grip tightened. He started to weave a bracelet on my hand; i tried again to pull back. That was when another man came and chatted with me. I knew what he was doing; i knew what i had gotten myself into. I've read about these scams, never thought to be living in one. When he was done, he demanded for money and as i was alone then, calculating my other options (to flee or yell), i succumbed to their forceful demand and paid myself off. I held on to the bracelet until i went to another place- so no other scammers would approach. And threw it away later- to discard the constant reminder that i was scammed.

My immediate feeling was anger, at myself more than the situation itself. I have been scammed before (read My Beijing Journey: An Ugly Stain) and i felt like i walked into a trap i made for myself. 

Then i made a choice. To continue feeling that way on a Sunday morning, or move on and enjoy the rest of the day i've planned. Again, i chose the latter.

Sacre Coeur has its beauty. The white is pure and the view of the city from the top is nice. Free admission.


How could i miss a picture of the windmill at the Moulin Rouge? I didn't enter although it was tempting. The price was exorbitant, for me, and the schedule of the performance was not suitable. I managed to, briefly, walked around and observed the other activities of this red, neon street. I can only imagine how lively this place becomes once nightfall.


I missed out on the Moulin Rouge but my theatre-appetite was well satisfied in the Palais Garnier,


The opera house is really grand.

Even the ceiling was well decorated.One tip: always look up, or look up when others do. 
 
 The real reason i came was this: Box 5. It was the box the Phantom from'The Phantom of the Opera' seats; one of my favourite literature from school. There was a tour group standing just outside the door and when i listened to the guide's story-telling, my memory of acting out the story also came to mind.

One of the highlights from the story was the fall of the chandelier. Of course, it didn't really came crashing down. Still, a pretty chandelier.

Some costume from previous plays.


Flame of Liberty, near the tunnel at Pont de l'Alma. The site where Princess Diana met in an accident and lost her life.


The July Column at the center of Place de la Bastille, where the Bastille Prison once stood. The column commemorates the events of the July Revolution.

Centre Georges Pompidou with its modern, forward architecture. There is a museum inside, of which i didn't enter.


I found this place while surfing the Internet and i needed to go there. Plus, it's free admission. It's the Maison de Victor Hugo.

I was looking forward to seeing this: Les Miserables.



Interesting items around the now-museum.

Just nearby the Victor Hugo's apartment is this Place des Vosges.

Another delicacy to try: frog legs.

Oh, there you are: my three macaroons.

My Paris Journey: Painting a Dream
My Paris Journey; Me and My Three Macaroons
My Paris Journey: The Chateau Battle
My Paris Journey: Bones and Skulls
My Paris Journey: Endearing Time in Provins

Comments