Opium Changkat Bukit Bintang, KL

How coincident? My sister mentioned Opium and the very next day, my friend suggested this eatery for a meet up. Plus, he got a 40% discount voucher so that sealed the deal- and we made reservation.


When i heard of the name of this eatery, my first thought was 'what?!'. I got my head around it and then realized the connection with the theme so prominently portrayed. Catchy, definitely. Stepping in brought me back in time, the old China time that i used to watch on TV. The ambiance was relaxing, the decor exuded charm. I especially like the wine cellar. Oh, the drunken master.



The waiters were friendly, and oddly, two of them looked alike that we thought we ordered from the same person. Partly air conditioned indoor and open air outside, we decided to sit inside where it was cooler.

Curry Spaghettini (RM 32) was rich with flavour. Interesting blend of curry and pasta, with well made salmon steak.

Duck Noodle (RM 28) tasted authentic with herbs.

Jasmine Tea Pot (RM 15, 2 to share) gave the feel we wanted when tea was poured into and drank from an irregular bowl/cup. The tea itself was regular.

If there's one word to describe my dinner of Opium Black Fried Rice (RM 30), it's unique. There was a lot going on, on the plate, yet it worked for me. Together, i hardly could distinguish the ingredient. I liked the egg and cucumber with paste, and the black rice said to be made from squid ink. The texture of the rice was complex- crunchy and soft, with shrimp flavour. I wasn't fond of the mango salad and the soft shell crab was nothing to shout about. Try this only if you want something different, or special.

Since i didn't plan to drink, i settled for other special drinks. My Mango Assam Boi was slightly too sour for my liking but my friend's Calamansi Apple Ginger was appetizing. Both RM 15. The drinks are creatively named and presented, especially in the pottery mug. The feel, again.

Soon after, Chinese music from Chinese instrument was played. She was so good, she sounded as if recorded. After the meal, it was a good place to chat and catch up.

In short, Opium is a great place to go to for the ambiance and feel. Food-wise was above average. Price-wise, however, let's just say the 40% discount made it so much more worth it.

What? Chinese fusion with great ambiance.
Where? Opium. 50 Changkat Bukit Bintang, KL.
Phone number? 03 21425670
Website? www.opiumkl.com

Comments