My Paris Journey: Painting a Dream


Bonjour! Ca va?

The first time i stepped foot on the European soil, it was the French's, and what an amazing journey it was, to flirt with the sites in the City of Love. I was there in the summer and frankly, for me, summer was both the best and the worst time to visit Paris. Although cooler than i expected, it was easy to stroll around while admiring the beauty of every, single detail. The day was longer so i could travel/stay in Paris until late (i was staying in Le Mee for training during the weekdays, which is about 50 minutes away by train from Paris). The bad- it was summer so the crowd at most places were massive; i spent hours just waiting in line. Worth the wait? Yes. My journey will be divided into several plates parts, each having a spoonful of adventure with a pinch of romance excitement. 

Bon appetit!
Wack

***

My preferred mode of transportation- the Metro. The lines (at least 12 different ones, mind you) can be intimidating to some for the first time, so just make sure you know where you're heading to and the interchange stations, if required. There are guides to assist you- i met a few English-speaking guides who were helpful enough to get me to my destination. Pick-pocketing is common in the trains (or in any crowded places) so always look after your belongings- put your wallets in front. I always casually (so not to be too obvious) put my hands in my pocket whenever it got crowded.

In some stations (and even in the trains), i enjoyed the musicians/buskers displaying their raw talents. There was one talented violist and a group of men singing/playing with instruments that caught my interest.  


I grew up dreaming of visiting The Louvre Museum (Musee du Louvre)- and the moment i got my ticket, i was ecstatic. I wanted to quickly see the masterpiece; however, it was on a different level so we decided to explore floor-by-floor. The museum is large and we didn't want to spend the whole day in there, so we used the pamphlet as guide to the must-see artwork, marking them down along the way.

Squeezing my way through the crowd...

... for a picture with Venus de Milo.

The Seated Scribe.

Grand and beautiful.

I never knew of this sculpture but this Winged Victory of Samothrace was truly engaging. I felt strangely connected to this.

There i was, in the room...


... the room where she was, in the case at the far end.
Mona Lisa. As many have said, it looks smaller in real, but no less remarkable. I wanted to linger longer but the crowd was suffocating, so i moved on.


With Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss in The Louvre. Another favourite of mine since the visit.

A different view from the top, against the glass pyramid, with the fresh air outside.

It was the most beautiful museum among the museums i have been. In fact, the museum was once the Louvre Palace and in 1682, Louis XIV left the Louvre mainly for a venue to display the royal collection. I still can't gather myself to be in places where kings had been, on grounds they walked. There was no way in escaping the crowd- an average of 15000 visitors per day, but to join in and be amazed. The first place i visited in Paris was this- and i am truly happy with my choice.

There are several ways to get to The Louvre but i recommend to take the metro to the Palais Royal Musee du Louvre Station (Line 1) and follow the signs leading to the entrance through shops. The queue was shorter than entering from the top. Entrance is free on the first Sunday of every month (limited).

The Notre Dame Cathedral (Notre Dame de Paris), completed in 1345, is another great place to visit, especially those familiar with the story 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' by Victor Hugo. I wasn't but i thoroughly enjoyed it. No doubt, it was one of the finest example of the French Gothic architecture, with stained glass and chimera. Look out for the organ too. Like every other place, there was a queue to go in.


Have a casual stroll by the seine and the Cathedral. There are artists who can paint a portrait of you for a fee nearby.

So much love.

Just across Notre Dame is one place that i frequented- St Michel, for many reasons. First, it has that sidewalk cafe, alfresco feel like how i saw on films. Second, there are many restaurants that offer good deals for meals. Third, it's the best place to get souvenirs. Fourth, it is conveniently reachable by the Metro.



Just nearby is the Shakespeare and Company bookstore- so popular that i, again, had to queue to enter because ventilation was poor and too many at once inside can be, again, suffocating. Instead of looking at the books, i was more interested at the old-looking bookshelves, and made my way upstairs to find a piano.

What more, i was in luck! There was a free play of Macbeth in the park next to this bookstore on the day i was there. The actors were amazing- and watching them on stage made me reminiscence my days on stage and how it made me feel. I didn't know the story of Macbeth well until that day.




A visit to Paris can never be complete, no matter how cliche it sounds or how many photographs have been taken, without a visit to the Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel). Completed in 1889, the monument got its name from its engineer, Alexandre Gustave Eiffel and was the tallest in the world from 1889 to 1930. There are three floors when ascending the tower.

Find the 72 names engraved on the tower platform.

Come night, the tower gets even prettier. Frankly, i wasn't crazy over this tower but when it lit, with running lights every hour, i was head over heels, mesmerized.

The best place and time for a view of the tower is to stop at the Trocadero station, come up and out, in the evening. The picture at the top of this post is example. Then, slowly make your way down to the tower and park, picnic on the grass and relax until the tower turns golden. That's what we did, despite the cool wind, and it was an experience like none other,

On my last weekend, i was deciding whether to follow my friends to Amsterdam, a solo adventure to Nice or Marseilles, or be a kid in Disneyland. The choice became pretty obvious and i got on the train that led me to being a kid once more. The finishing touches of my painting.

Where the magic comes alive! Disneyland Paris!



I was running between parks (Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Park), optimizing my time and selectively picking the rides or attractions i must do.


The Ratatouille ride was new so i tried. It was fun being diminished to rat-size. My other favourites include the Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, Space Mountain: Mission 2, Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror.


Of course, i spent some time chasing my favourite Disney characters (with the young ones).




Front row seat to the Parade- do not miss this.


"Save the best for last" has never been more right. I was on the verge of leaving as it would be too late. But i took my chances and certainly, i was blown away by the magic; the perfect harmony of fireworks, lights, water and music. I was smiling, all the way back.


This part of journey has left an imprint, a painting, in my life. A painting i'd gladly see it, over and over again. This painting may not be displayed in museums, or palaces of kings, but that's ok for me. It is, after all, the painting of a dream. My dream.

Paint yours.

My Paris Journey: Painting a Dream
My Paris Journey; Me and My Three Macaroons
My Paris Journey: The Chateau Battle
My Paris Journey: Bones and Skulls
My Paris Journey: Endearing Time in Provins

Comments