My Sri Lanka Journey: Rewind

I nearly titled this post as something about going to the central of Sri Lanka but decided to aptly name it with a single word: rewind, because what i had in the next two days brought me back in time- ancient time.

Pumped for the day, if you don't already know, the Sigiriya Lion Rock (USD 30) was my most anticipated place to visit. Perched among the lush greenery, it is another UNESCO World Heritage Site on this journey, inscribed since 1982, and claimed to be the 8th Wonder of the Ancient World. I had high expectation, what with the entry price being pretty steep. With fascinating history, incredible ambition and breathtaking view from above, how could i be disappointed?

From the entrance, i searched for the obvious, The entrance pass included the Museum, the Gate entry and the Mirror Wall, which is the typical flow for visitors. Walking towards the Rock Fortress, i passed by the various gardens, eyes on the front.

Walking between the boulders, i noticed where my first amazement would be- at that narrow spiral staircase leading to the frescoes. It was quick-lived; up to the paintings and down again. Then, i continued along the Mirror Wall, a wall section of rock so polished, it said the king could see himself. Perhaps i'm no king because i couldn't see myself. 

To the Lion Gate, between the Lion's Paws and up the Lion Staircase. Come prepared to do lots of climbing.

I read about the hornets and saw warning boards. On my way up, i found these hives.
So it must be true.

Wandering at the summit with this inhabitant- can you find it?

My favourite view of the 360 degree!
I could sit there for hours just soaking in the surrounding beauty. I was lucky; it was clear day and windy at the summit.

The Toy Traveler near the Sky Palace.
I took another round at the summit, re-imagining how everything could have been built on/within/around a rock and simply because i enjoyed the view, before i headed down.

Step by step; a vertigo feeling.

I was supposed to exit through the second exit (not the same as the entrance) but it was poorly signed and i had to navigate myself among the ruins and pathways. Sigiriya may be a touristy site at surface but beneath it is a marvel of wonder. A good half-day should be spent here- i covered the site in slightly more than three hours.

Driving to my next destination, i stopped by at this Minneriya Tank, hoping to see elephants bathing in the reservoir. 'The Gathering' is an annual elephant event which sees herds of elephants come to the water tank. However, i skipped my visit to the National Park as i read the time was not right. Nevertheless, when passing through this road, i saw two elephants roamed the main road.

I arrived Polonnaruwa and checked in at Ariya Rest House. This rest house is paired together with a restaurant; a family-run business, warm and helpful bunch of people. Fitted with net to its bed, this is a recommended place of stay, suitable for solo travelers and family. Tired from the day's travel, i decided to rest in.

The next morning, i made a pit stop at the woodcarving center. A man explained to me the various types of wood in Sri Lanka and demonstrated using rainbow tree wood. Fascinated, i watched as the water turned red, then yellow with lemon juice. Very touristy and goods here are expensive (he insisted genuine product and proper certification upon purchase).

I visited the Polonnaruwa Ancient City (USD 25), my third UNESCO World Heritage Site in this journey, inscribed since 1982. This ancient city is the second capital of Sri Lanka after its sister city, Anuradhapura in 993. Honestly, until today, my tongue is twisted each time i speak of these two cities. My initial plan was to rent a bicycle to explore the ruins and temples, but not a good idea riding alone. I obtained the official entrance ticket and it included the Museum, Sites and the Gal-Vihara, usually visited in this order. The Museum was wordy with many pictures but a good prelude to what to expect at the ruins.

I was quickly amazed by the Potgul Vehera. It was quiet in most places that i found myself walking between old bricks many times. A great start of my ruin's day.

A different view of the Royal Palace.

The Vatadage, a circular shrine, is one of my favourite spots in this ancient city.

Tip: Some spots still serve as a temple/shrine so expect to remove shoes and wear appropriately. No photography with person (behind facing the Buddha statue).

Sathmahal Prasada is a seven-storied pyramid. Many has compared this ancient city to that of the Angkor Archaeological Park in Cambodia. While i admit that the structures here are small in size, they are no less grand. In fact, i was just as in awe at these sites- definitely less crowd here. 

The colossal Rankoth Vehera stupa stands at 180 feet high.

The white Kiri Vehera stupa stands at 95 feet high, so white i didn't recognize the stupa at first.

My favourite among the sites is the Lankatilaka, a monolithic Buddha image house near the Kiri Vehera. Built by King Parakramabahu, i was impressed by the walls adorned with intricate sculptures inside and outside, and now a headless, 46 feet statue.

TripAdvisor listed Gal-Vihara as the Number 1 attraction in the ancient city. Four separate statues were built on a single granite; a rock temple on its own. Seen here are the Standing Buddha image and the Reclining Buddha Image. What catches attention is the crossed arm of the Standing Buddha image.

The Lotus Pond is away from the other sites and there was no one here.

I returned to my rest house with a sun-burned skin, exhausted from walking. A relaxing spa would be good. And a treatment was what i went for- full body massage in Habarana. The session lasted for almost an hour. In addition to a normal massage, the masseur added fresh aloe vera (perhaps from its garden) and cinnamon powder. I came off, rejuvenated.

As i did not make a reservation for a sleeperette (usually a week advance is required), i settled for a 2nd class night mail train ticket (480 LKR) from Polonnaruwa to Colombo Fort. I bought my ticket over the counter. As i queued in line, a local boy kept looking at me, curious he might be to see someone not like him and not speak the same language. I smiled at him and he turned away towards his father, who i also noticed then, was looking at me,

I got on the train. A lady kindly removed her bag from a seat and offered it to me. I sat next to three local women, in a train full of locals. My six-hour (or more) ride back to the city began.

This, too, was what i came for- a local railway experience.

My Sri Lanka Journey: Candy Kandy and Dambulla Flava
My Sri Lanka Journey: Rewind
My Sri Lanka Journey: Colombo Forte

Comments