My Vietnam Journey: Vibrant Da Nang

I sat next to a couple while waiting for the Sinh Tourist bus to Da Nang. They spoke in Cantonese, intermittently in English, and i understood their conversation (i wasn't eavesdropping, i promise; they were close enough that i had to hear). It wasn't any interesting topic but i was interested in knowing where they were from. They could be a country-mate. So, when they paused chatting, i quickly asked if they were Malaysians. The shook their heads and in unison, replied "Hong Kong". Instinctively, i replied in Cantonese, bluntly witnessing the surprise on their faces. And the usual follow up question was regarding how i could speak in that language. I enjoy surprising others with such fun fact of Malaysia- we can speak more than one language.

Unmissable, the Cau Rong (bridge) is a sight to behold.

Our conversation was short-lived as the bus soon arrived. We got out bags, boarded onto the bus and settled into our individual sleeper seats. Slightly uncomfortable at the start due to tight leg room and reclining back, i slowly eased myself and watched the window, returning to the modern city that hinted white sandy beaches.

Vitamin sea ahead!

The drop off point was further than i expected and when i checked my electronic map, it estimated a 3-km walk to my destination. The distance was fine for me but the heat was not. I reserved mentioning about the heat in my previous post because i want to highlight it here (it was hot in Hoi An; every time i entered the tailor shop, i was perspiring). The heat was different than that in my home probably due to humidity. And sunny. I stopped walking midway and reached for my umbrella. My shirt was soaked with sweat when i finally stepped into the hotel. Nevertheless, don't get me wrong, it was still an ideal time to visit as clear, blue sky was its reward.

Crossing the Han River swing bridge, one of the beautiful bridges over Han River.

Sofia Boutique Hotel was my choice of a fancy stay in Da Nang. I have no regrets. From the moment i was welcomed to the point i checked out, the customer service quality i received was commendable. Immediately to soothe the heat, i was presented with a bowl of fruits, a cup of juice and a roll of face towel, in between smiles. I was shown to my room and inside i found a hand-written letter and personalized-made bed. Pampering oneself occasionally was definitely worthy (hostel stay has its perks but let's not dwell on pros and cons of hostels, hotels or any other available choice of accommodation for now). This hotel had a rustic charm with wood interior; it had no lift and only four floors.

A relaxing retreat.

Another reason i picked this hotel was its vicinity to the famous My Khe beach. After cooling off in the room, i prepared for the sand and sea.

The beachfront reminded me of those in Australia.

Seafood Fried Rice at the hotel because being near the sea calls for seafood.

I woke up early the next morning for sunrise at the beach. It amazed me how crowded the beach was at five in the morning. People were already in the water!

Morning exercise.

Not much of a sunrise chaser but this was exciting.

Saw people pulling nets in, wondering what's the catch.

Quite a lot actually!

This curious kid got me intrigued; as i took a step closer, i then saw the water inked black. Squid.

Green and clean.

Because you can't leave Vietnam without having a Pho. Had mine for breakfast though the soup lacked flavour. I prefer it to be intense.

Upon checking out, i readied myself for the walk in the heat again. I arrived at Kon-Tiki Hostel not long after, kept my bag and devised my day plan. I crossed the bridge to the other side where my first stop was.

Said to be one of a kind in the world, with a collection of Cham art, the Museum of Cham Sculpture was an educative site.

At the entrance.

One of the more prominent sculptures. The pedestal included three parts: an adorned square base with a hollow in the center for the linga, two round slabs where one functions as a yoni, and a linga through the two slabs.

Walking around, linking my visit to My Son with this place.

Before i left Sofia Boutique Hotel, the receptionist recommended to try 'dua ben tre'. "What's that?" came my response and she quickly explained that it was coconut jelly. Since it was recommended by a local, i included this in my itinerary. After the museum, i search for the stall she (particularly) mentioned- 196 Dua Ben Tre, amongst a row of coconut jelly shops.

Loads of coconuts in and out.

They had creative menu and i was tempted to try other than the coconut jelly. However, the receptionist did inform me to try the original- because she liked that best. So i had it. Sweetly delicious, cooling off with coconut jelly.

Nearby was the Da Nang Cathedral, known also as the Chicken Church, but i refer to it as the Pink Cathedral.

It is obvious in color and definitely in place. But why chicken? Can you guess?


Next felt a bit of a treasure hunt. I followed my map but walked in circles until i decided to ask a random shop attendant for direction. She looked clueless to my treasure and pointed me to another coffee shop- Cong Caphe.

Interesting interior with old Vietnam concept.

Coconut coffee was special. Coffee with a hint of coconut taste, it was smooth and creamy.
That's two coconut and two coffee so far.

Unsatisfied, i went for one last round and this time, i noticed where it was- sandwiched between shoplots and located at the back. However, it was closed. This i couldn't help but to accept it. Moving on, i wandered into the Han Market but didn't spend long time in here. My stomach grumbled.

Touch and go, i admit.

Pit stop. The first and only outlet in Da Nang.

Eye catchy design.

So, i walked to Bun Cha Ca 109. Lucky this was available- and i found my treasure in this instead. There was serving choice of large or regular, and being a first timer, i opted for a regular sized bowl. This was a regret. I should have ordered a large.

Spot this.

This huge pot should have been an indication to go for large.

I cannot write this and not salivate. The combination of pineapple and tomato was brilliant. I didn't expect it to work. Sweet, sour, salty; my tongue danced to its flavours. The noodles was nicely textured and the fish cake slices were springy.

I walked past several waterfronts, the Dragon Carp Statue and Love Lock bridge to return to my hostel, and rested until night for my last event of the day.

Mermaid and dragon.

Romance.

Me and the Dragon Carp statue.

More love to lock.

Night lights at the bridges.

At 9pm on weekend. I stood to watch the dragon breathed fire and water to the crowd. The moment lasted only a few breaths, about fifteen minutes. The dragon changed colours too.

The next morning, i had the banh cuon nong, local 'chee cheong fun', in front of my hostel. Actually, it was an interesting variation and i enjoyed it.

Preparing my order delicately.

Unique with the addition of chicken floss, ham and something crunchy that felt like crouton.

Before leaving, i went for coffee at a coffee shop. House. The Coffee House. For local white coffee.

Bac Xiu.

Then, i took Grab from my hostel to the airport. If walking is not your thing and you have internet connectivity, Grab is a convenient mode of transportation. An advice: go to the airport early. I waited in queue almost an hour for immigration clearance and i was surrounded by frustration-brewing visitors who were rushing to catch their plane (some even had to miss their flights!). May be come earlier next time?

Initially, i planned for a city adventure. Alternatively, this Da Nang- Hoi An journey managed to encapsulate and balance modernity with culture, and i was thoroughly satisfied. This journey also made me reevaluate my stance of Vietnamese cuisine, especially on the local central region food, and i learned that there are more than just banh mi and pho. People are generally friendly and helpful, although there were instances when i questioned otherwise and walked away from suspicious gestures or persuasive sellers.

When i showed my pictures to my family, they were inclined to and showed interest in putting this place on their travel map. One of my greatest achievements i strive for as a blogger is to inspire my readers, and like my family, i hope this (and other Journeys) have inspired you in some way. Share with me if you do.

Cam onh Vietnam!
And cam onh for reading.

Notice the chicken at the top.

Comments

  1. The tour of Vietnam is always amazing and interesting experience. Their culture, food, restaurant, history everything is beautiful. short term park and fly deals

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment