My Kuching Journey: Cave and more!

Day 2: Wind Cave, Fairy Cave, Tasik Biru, Taman Sahabat, The Spring, Sarawak Laksa, Kueh Cap, Belacan Midin, Kolo Mee

Woke up as early as 7 am to get ready for the day. For breakfast, I had the famous Sarawak Laksa and Kueh Cap. Kueh Cap is mostly 'spare parts' of the pig but since I don't favour eating them, mine came with slices of pork meat instead. It looks like 'bak kut teh' but diluted, less black and not much herb taste. It felt like the black soy sauce in soup. The Sarawak Laksa, surely, is one of the favourites. Different to those I find in KL, the Laksa here has a blend of sweetness in its spiciness. It has prawns and serves with sliced scrambled eggs. I will miss the Sarawak Laksa, surely. The kopitiam we had is located at the junction of 4 1/2 Mile.

Kueh Cap in front of Iced Teh C and Iced Coffee C.

Sarawak Laksa next to the Kueh Cap. Mouth watering yet?

After the fulfilling breakfast, two other friends joined us. Then there were four. One of the scheduled activities for today was caving. Somehow, I enjoy going to caves like those in China and Australia, or even Batu Caves in Selangor. Today held two different caves at near Bau about half an hour from Kuching city. The first was the Wind Cave. Entrance fee per student rate is RM 1.50. Remember to bring your own torchlight to this cave as it is dark once you trail inside the cave. Like all caves, mind your steps and your head, and care not to touch the natural formations!

I like this picture of the bat at the ceiling of the Wind Cave. There are bats, and bat droppings, in this cave. So, be wary.

Cave rock formations seen inside the cave. Shine with your torchlight and be amazed.

The many bats having their nap on the ceiling.


There are reading boards to provide you with information about the cave's formation and life.

This is a large bat hole at the ceiling of the cave. We wondered if this is the bats' public toilet.

Greeting at the entrance of the Wind Cave.

Entrance of the Fairy Cave. The cave got its name from the stories where this cave is said to be magical. Entrance is free for this cave, which surprised me because despite that this is more tiring, I prefer this cave. Once you reach the top, and cave further in, the sense of accomplishment is overwhelming, topped with its beautiful scenery.

One of the wonders inside the cave. It looks like the pinnacles.

Me against the magnificent background. Don't ask me what the ring of light next to me is. Period.

The popular shot of the skylight of Fairy Cave.

Caving.

A rock formation that looks like a man.

I shall call this formation behind me the Dragon's Throat.

And I shall call this the Snake's Head. Notice how water drips from its mouth to the ground below. You can find these two at the viewing platform of the cave.

Caving is surely a unique experience and I have grown to like more than I thought I would. I will not forget the beauty of the cave standing at the viewing platform.

After the two caves, we were hungry. But not until we visited the Tasik Biru, or Blue Lake, did we have our lunch. Tasik Biru got its name from the colour of the lake- blue. It is because of the arsenic element found abundant which caused this lake to turn blue. Interesting.

Me and the Tasik Biru. Don't attempt to drink or use the water in the lake.

On the way back to Kuching, we stopped by one of the restaurant and had lunch. Seen above is another famous, the Midin, stir fried with belacan or shrimp paste. Midin looks like the 'paku choy' and tastes like 'kang kung'.

After lunch, we headed back to rest awhile and cleaned ourselves. Then, it was the next stop, Taman Sahabat, where it is a spot dedicated to the relationship between China and Sarawak. A figure of the Admiral Cheng Ho can be seen at the park. The park is simplistically beautiful, especially during evening with walkers and joggers or just visitors strolling in the park. The Chinese house built over the pond becomes magical with the amber sky.

Me taking 5 with the Admiral statue.

Against the magnificent backdrop of the house, pond and sunset.

My friend and I at the main entrance. In the evening, there are students learning at the porch of the house. When I was there, they were practicing the Chinese yo-yo. I like the community spirit.

After Taman Sahabat, finally, my first ever Kolo Mee in Kuching. It comes in two different flavour: white or red. The one I had in this picture is White, and mixed with white vinegar. No wonder why my friends always talk about Kolo Mee- it's good! Seen in this picture too are the sate, both chicken in lighter brown and pork in dark colour.

To quench thirst, presenting to you the White Lady drink. Inside are fruit pieces. What intrigued me was the name itself. White. Lady.

This is where you can find it all. The hawker stall is bustling with people. Hui Sing Hawker Centre.

Before heading back to end the long day, here I am in the Spring, one of the newer shopping complexes in Kuching.

My Kuching Journey: Layered ending

Comments