My Kuching Journey: Colourful culture

Day 3: Temple at Muara Tebas, Cultural Village, Seafood at Buntal, Sunday Market

One thing I like about traveling is the need to push myself to wake up early, rise and shine for the coming day no matter how tired I am from the day before. I was awake when the sun was just about to rise and meet with my friend's relatives to join them for today's adventure. Driving nearly an hour to Muara Tebas, after breakfast, we visited the Chinese temple facing the port. It was a wet morning at the temple but that did not deter me to see and their relatives to perform their ritual duties.

Climbing up a flight of stairs to reach the temple. On festive days like the Chinese New Year, the temple will be crowded with people wanting to fulfill their prayers.

At the entrance to inside the temple is a gold dragon figure.

Driving further in another direction after the temple, we arrived at the next, popular tourist spot- the Cultural Village. It charges at Rm 60.00 per adult so remember to bring Student Card, for university students, to get better rate. Trust me, you save a lot.Most people who went to Kuching definitely paid a visit to this place and the feedback has been good. To say the least, I agree with them. Despite the slight drizzle while touring around the Village, I thoroughly enjoyed my time reading, looking and participating in the sites. You can buy a 'passport' and get it stamped at the counter of every station- a pretty interesting concept to make sure you have seen it all.

At the entrance of the Cultural Village or Kampung Budaya.

Walking over a bridge used by one of the indigenous people of Sarawak. Imagine if it is higher, with no strings attached.

Try your hands on some of the traditional musical instruments of the people. Find the 'do re mi fa so la ti' and dive into the music. One of the melody of a local music has been installed in my head and whenever I hear that tune, I will remember this place.

In the longhouse.

One of the indigenous people of Sarawak's home.

The 'staircase' to enter the house is challenging as the steps are designed where only the front of your foot and fit in if you are climbing forwardly. Those who is afraid of heights might have some trouble getting into the house. I just like pushing myself to the limit.

What you must not miss coming to the Cultural Village is the performance at the theater. The theater now is equipped with cushioned seats and air-conditioning system for your comfort. The stage is set for performers to present traditional dances or activity. There are two shows each day. One in the morning at 11.30am and another in the afternoon. Seen above is one of the performances that blew me away. The performer at the top of the bamboo (I think) is spun by his mates at the bottom. He was moving so fast I thought he might just fly off and fall to the ground. Nothing of that sort happened when I was there. Applause ensued.

The performance by two Penan people truly captured my attention. They were charismatic on stage and exuded great sense of humour to entertain the crowd and I can say for many that our eyes were fixated on them. Even their entrance would shake you. Using blowpipes as weapons, they demonstrated by aiming at balloons. Accuracy. Technique. And when they called a volunteer up to try, it was another fun moment- not only to shoot at the balloons but how they conducted the show. Well done to the team!

If you are to visit the Cultural Village, I would recommend you to visit the homes of the people and read about them around the Village prior to the show. Save the best for last, and watching the world class show, your money is worth the price and you will leave the Cultural Village with a smile wiped across your face. Across the Cultural Village is the Damai beach and since I was already there, how can one resist the beach? From afar, I could see a metallic sculpture of a bird. Walking closer to it, and towards the beach, I knew what it was.

It's a metal hornbill. The pride of Sarawak. Even if it almost done, I guess, it looks amazing, like Langkawi's eagle except only smaller.

By the beach. Tide was low. Very low. That the beach was set farther in.

Being at the beach makes time fly by in seconds. Stomach called for late lunch and what better to have than seafood at such a place? Traveling on the way back to Kuching, we stopped at one of the restaurants in Buntal. Try to avoid going there during in-between regular meal times. The restaurants there usually open for dinner and some for lunch. Rarity to those that serves late lunch. We were lucky there was one, which was no less than finger-licking good too!

Fresh coconut for seafood, tick. Fried oyster with egg or 'oh chian'- pizza shaped with oysters at its centre. Seafood, spicy. Not seen here is crabs prepared in egg- undeniably, I am licking my fingers now already. And at the right is another style of cooking Midin, which I prefer more than the belacan style- the red wine Midin. The lunch was scrumptious and seafood, at the right place at the right time, proves to be one of the best!

Traveled back to Kuching and rested. Since we were still full from lunch, we decided to head to the Sunday Market first. Funny, I thought Sunday Market is a market which opens only on Sundays, as its name suggests. It isn't. But I was close. The Sunday Market opens during weekends only and there are many things you can find at the market. Animals like pet fish, hamsters, birds. Plants like orchids, cactus. Souvenir like key chains, fridge magnets. Clothes. Food. Toys. It's all in one. It's similar to the night market or pasar malam here in KL, and like it too, the Sunday Market offers much variety. Ultimately, if you're a bargainer, beat your best here and get the best deals! Some, though, might not be the owners selling so it might be more challenging.

The Sunday market.

Flowers on sale.

Another long day that was nothing short of awesomeness, it was then time to sleep- for the next day was anticipated to bring much more ache to the feet.

My Kuching Journey: Layered ending

Comments