My Miri Journey: Makai in Miri

I was in Miri to undergo my T-BOSIET and HUET. In other words, i learned to fight fire and escaped a smoke house, performed CPR, stepped into a pool and survived capsizing of helicopters. Training was informative and fun; i thoroughly enjoyed each practical session. The instructors were casual but professional too.

Even the food was good- and you thought i'm just going to speak about my training?

After each day, i spent time to explore the bits and pieces of Miri, the land of the seahorse. With the help of my friends, no two nights were the same- and on Saturday just before i flew back to KL, we took a drive into Brunei. I stayed in Imperial Hotel, which is in the city itself and close to popular eateries.

The Grand Old Lady and Canada Hill
What would a trip to Miri be if not a photo at the pride of our nation.


Unfortunately, it was overcast on the evening that i was there; otherwise, i heard the sunset is pretty. Reminded me of KK city.

Muara Restoran
Lalapan isn't an entirely Malaysian dish but it is famous in Miri- this place claimed to be the founder of lalapan. I cannot say if this is the best lalapan in Miri but it had made an impact, and me excited for the other food encounters throughout my stay. Lalapan looked and tasted like ayam penyet but i prefer lalapan.


Although i wished mine was to be served on earthenware, i cannot deny the blend of spices and flavours. I saw myself pulling vege after another, with the beancurd and tempeh. The sambal at the center, delightful. But my favourite was the chicken. Cooked to crispy skin and succulent meat beneath, Lalapan Ayam is recommended.

Ming's Cafe
Just next door (and i saw this name appearing in many websites), i thought to give this a try. I expected a Chinese eatery, to be honest, but had Pork Nachos and Ming Tea Specila (or Special) instead. In fact, it is more like a bar restaurant. A good place for a hangout.

While waiting for my friend to pick me up in the evening, i decided, using Google Maps, to wander around part of the city. I walked to the Central Market and back, via different routes. It was closed but at least i got to my destination, and saw more of the city on foot. There weren't many tall buildings- the taller ones are usually hotels.

So much for being a traveller.

Teh Tarik Station
A house restaurant, it felt cozy and homey.

This TTS Tea drink was good. Layered tea topped with ice cream. Not too sweet, just for my liking.

Sarawak Laksa. It tasted different than what i had in Kuching. Nevertheless, the flavours were enough to satiate my appetite for local food. The soup was less powdery.

Timur Seafood Restaurant
Going back and forth with friends' recommendations, we settled for this. Though it didn't live up to expectation, dinner was sufficient, before we headed over to Permaisuri Mall for karaoke session.

Butter Milk Crab. The gravy was appetizing. However, i was rather disappointed by the crab itself. It was fresh but it lacked flavour. Somehow the flavour wasn't infused, through the crust.

The Hokkien Mee we ordered was good. See the almost-clean plate at the back? We ordered Salted Egg Bitter Gourd, hoping it to come fried, crispy and crunchy. Perhaps we didn't specify enough. It was fried with salted egg but not how we wanted. Still, it was ok.

Summit Cafe
My favourite meal was here- Kelabit breakfast. It was unique and delicious at the same time. Slightly hidden among other shops, i was not surprised to see the many tables extending outside the shop after my fulfilling meal.

I enjoyed them all- mostly and unexpectedly, the vege. Instead of grain rice, we had soft rice in leaf (nuba laya), which of course was soft, vege, pounded pork and fish. The texture of the vege was special and tasty. Some of the pork meat was tough. The Special Tea was great too. Definitely, i will come back to this shop.

Kaizen Japanese Restaurant, Seria, Brunei
So my friend mentioned about good Japanese food in Brunei and as i brought my passport (we knew we were going), off we travelled. It took us about half an hour to reach the border and after the immigration, another half to our lunch. I learned something about the toll too.

I noticed the road signboards and shop names were written in English and Arabic- it reminded me of Saudi but less green. The restaurant was on the upper floor and we were seated next to the belt (train) and kitchen- watching the chefs skillfully slicing the salmon, i knew this place has got to be good for salmon feast.

Seaweed. It's so good; it tasted like jellyfish. My choice of seaweed anytime now at a Japanese eatery

Sashimi. It's so fresh it tasted alive! There's salmon, tuna, clam (the waiter named each but i couldn't remember exactly what now).

The different ways to have salmon. Yummy! I liked this dish- especially the raw ones and the fried spicy ones at the back. Recommended.

Dessert to end the lunch- Pistachio ice cream. I really need to find a good pistachio ice cream in KL- here and the ones in France were good. May be i should try making myself.

Price was above average- considering the money exchange, but it's an occasional splurge.

It was raining but it didn't stop us from visiting this Billion Barrel Monument on our way out.

Taman Awam and Kolo Mee
We went to search for the Seahorse Lighthouse but unfortunately, the road was closed so we detoured here. It's a nice public park with good canopy walk experience. 

A fun park for the young. KL should have/maintain such a park.

Just before i bade goodbye; i cannot leave without a bowl of Kolo Mee in A One.

The outdoor adventure i lacked in this journey, i replaced with the good food of Miri. Frankly, i was impressed by the Miri food scene. The mixture of the culture and its people i can see it through its food. Still, i believe, there's more to offer... and more for me to explore gastronomically.

Miri is definitely more than just an oil town. I shall allocate time to visit Niah Cave and Mulu National Park the next time around.

Comments