Restoran Aik Yuen, KL

When i got back home, my brother told me (or bragged) about a Hokkien Mee he claimed to be the best he ever tasted til this day. Tawakal was what i heard next.

I assumed it got its nickname from its close vicinity to Tawakal Hospital; then i realized not only did my brother call it Tawakal but others too. It has been around for many years and when i asked my dad why hadn't i know the place, he replied, "We brought you here when you were young". So young at the time i wasn't yet a foodie.

The open kitchen. Especially for Chinese noodles, usually this type of roadside table and chair attracts me more.

It was hard not to miss- with my brother's thumbs up and my family seconding him, and literally- off Bulatan Pahang towards the Tawakal Hospital. I was there on a Sunday night and it was crowded with customers; i saw two groups of at least 5 tables joined.

We went for what it's famous for. My expectation was high but when i sank my teeth onto the first strand of Hokkien Mee (bottom), i was delighted. It was delicious and i was quick to push my bowl forward for a second (large) helping. Definitely yes for the oomph. Guilty pleasure confession: i was ready to add distance on my run just so to have the crispy lard bathed in the gravy. What more can i add? Oh, the sambal. Perfect.

It's tough to compare the other dishes against this, and it's not fair either. Nevertheless, they were great in their own fields. The Hokkien Mee Hoon-Kuay Teow (middle) was number 2 here and among my favourites in KL. Cooked slightly wet, i liked the coarse texture of the mee hoon paired with smooth kuay teow. However, it was a tad too salty. The Fried Rice (right) was a simple dish that satisfied us. It had good balance of saltiness. The Cantonese Kuay Teow or Wa Tan Hor (left) was ordinary. Looking at another angle, it was good to mellow down on the saltiness from previous plates.

Apart from its food, i was impressed by its quick service from the kitchen. Exactly how the cooks rotate dishes, i'm not sure, but surely it has worked. And the prices were reasonable too.

Highly recommended. With Hokkien Mee on almost every table, it is unnecessary to doubt or challenge its status as a popular Hokkien Mee destination. I hope this restaurant manages to maintain its taste and authenticity for many years to come, for me and you to continue enjoying. 

What? Hokkien Mee, Hokkien Mee Hoon-Kuay Teow
Where? Restoran Aik Yuen. Near Tawakal Hospital, Jalan Sarikei, off Jalan Pahang Barat, KL
When? Dinner to supper

Comments